DPFE?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave I

Reaction score
I did the recommended 30K mile service (less than transmission flush since I had it done 6 months ago on the recall) about 3 weeks ago. Last week my check engine light went on and I took it to the local Express tire.

They said it was a small EVAP leak and said something about a DPFE needing to be replaced.

I bought the extended warranty from my dealer so it should be covered. My questions:

What is the EVAP?

What is a DPFE?

What should it cost and how long should it take to fix at a dealer?

Thanks

Softscrubb

The evap is a term uses for the emissions controls on the truck.

The DPFE is a differential pressure sensor that senses the difference in pressure in the evap system.

The sensor is a 30 second change, and 2 min to reset the check engine light...

If there is a EVAP leak and not the sensor, could take time to diagnose..

The sensor is about $30 bucks, So having it done under the extended warranty may cost you a $50.00 deductible....

Here is a pic of it..

No tools at all required to change..

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Like TODD Z said no tools needed, the DPFE sensor is about $30 bucks at Ford and is as simple as pulling off the old one and pushing the new one on. Save your self the deductible Ford will charge you. Suggest you get the codes (not what they told you it is, but the actual codes) and post them here. The folks here actually know more then the Ford Techs and pretty much can save you a few headaches and some cash by telling you what's wrong based on the actual code and how to fix it.

edit: just found the Ford ticket for the DPFE sensor bought about 6 months ago a for $32.84 total.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just replaced the DPFE sensor myself this week....S/T has 84,000 miles on it. Its easy just like Todd said. The sensor cost me $52.00 at the dealer and everyone I called had the same price. Later...Riley:cool:

thanks for the help and suggestions. I have family in town and will do it the next change I get. Just didn't want anyone to think I was ignoring them.

Thanks,

Scrubb

The check engine light came on and Express tire did a diagnostic.

Code P0442

Small EVAP leak

Recommend gas cap and d.p.f.e valve.

suggestions

Scrubb

The Evap canister has a short hose on some 2003-2004 models and the hose can come off. Ford has a recall out on this and they should fix it for free. The fix is to install an elbow on the hose and if the evap canister hose had come off, they must replace the canister since it may have picked up some road debris.

All Sport Tracs have a problem with the DPFE sensor. It is a device that determines how much or how little Exhaust Gas is moving through a tube between the EGR valve and the intake manifold. Ford was providing an extended warrarnty on the DPFE valve, but it only cost about $30 and 10 minutes to replace it, so most people have opted to just fix their own.

...Rich

Ford was providing an extended warrarnty on the DPFE valve, but it only cost about $30 and 10 minutes to replace it, so most people have opted to just fix their own.

Plus you have the satisfaction that it was done right and not by the monkeys at the dealership.

Tom