Driveshaft oil leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
While I was under the Trac changing the motor oil I noticed oil where the driveshaft and the transmission meet. Oil has been slung on the underbody along a perpendicular axis from where I see the leak. It doesn't leave any stains where I park my Trac though. I don't have a pic of my own so I borrowed one from a thread I found after a search (thank you Brian T). According to that thread this should be a DIY but I need some elaboration, especially with disconnecting this joint (or whatever it is that needs to be done to replace the affected gasket).

Thanks in advance for all the help...

Again, this is not my pic but it is similar to what I see under my Trac:

[Broken External Image]:

Basically, you disconnet the driveshaft at the rear. Be sure to mark it so you can put it back in the same place on the yoke. Pull the driveshaft out of the transmission tail housing. Pry out the old seal. Tap in a new one. Use a properly sized bushing driver or a even a socket to tap it in straight without damaging the new seal. Check the driveshaft where it meets the seal and make sure the surface is smooth and clean (no rust). Lube the new seal and the driveshaft seal surface with appropriate ATF. Also good idea to clean and lube the splines on the driveshaft at this time. Reinstall the driveshaft and you are good to go. Should take 30 minutes or so.

Good advice from Gavin, but I'd offer one other suggestion: This is a good time to change the transmission fluid. In this picture (a manual tranny) you can see both drain and fill plugs. Drain the fluid, replace the shaft seal, fill.

Cool, dropping the pan and changing the filter was on my maintenance to-do list anyway.

Question, once I disconnect the rear of the driveshaft, does the front end just slip out of the trans?

Thanks Gavin. I don't have a bushing driver nor do I know how one works. Are they just rings that go over the circumference of a bushing where one could then strike it safely?

If you're not familiar with this repair, I'd recommend you buy a Haynes manual or search web/YouTube for instructions. All you need is a large socket that has same or slightly smaller OD (Outside Diameter) as the metal part of the seal ring. After you pull the old seal, start the new one in and gently tap it home with the socket and a hammer. Your local auto parts store may even have the socket/driver available for rent.

@roy, these seals are same design for all drivetrain components. Replacement steps of worn seals is identical. Repair shop tech is going to do same thing as you or I would - 'cept he's standing on his feet and we're on our backs.

Latest posts