driveway mechanic

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bart Adkins

Reaction score
Well I changed my front brake pads today. Good weather for it. Nice and cool. This is the type of quicky job I've done a hundred times over the years on tons of vehicles.

I did the driver side first. The inside pad gave me such a huge fight I couldn't believe it! It just wouldn't go into the spring metal clip no matter what. Top half pops in, bottom half pops out...that sort of crap. It took me over 40 minutes to get the one pad on. I think I used evry known obscenety in three languages and maybe made up a few new ones.

Of course It eventually fit in, and the passenger side only took 10 minutes. It took longer to take the tire off than it did to cahnge both pads on the passenger side. There always seems to be a hard side and an easy side no matter what the job is.

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did brakes too. I also replaced the rotors. Had one slide rusted in and could not find any brackets locally. Ended up using a torch to remove it. Got it finished up last night. Also replaced the fuel filter (took less than 5 minutes) and installed a new hitch.

Great weekend.

Tom

The trick is put the bottom in, Then look down at the clip and lift the back tap with your finger, it will them pop right in...

They can be a pain if not done that way...

Cool deal, You both saved some money today,..

Todd Z

I figured after almost 89,000 miles on the original rotors, it was time to change them out.

Tom

Todd - thanks for the tip on bottom first/lift back tab. I just boght an '03 with 26k miles on it, original brakes and tires. I suspect the front bakes are probably due for replacement.

Also want to replace original stock shocks. No offroading, looking for most car-like ride I can get. Suggestions in terms of best bang for the buck between shocks, front sway bar, and rear sway bar greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Go with the Sensatrac, Zabteck FT sway bar, EE rear sway bar.

Todd Z

I don't know what is wrong with my Sport Trac. I have owned it for 30,000 miles and replaced the breaks 3 times already.