Droid, Blackberry, other smart phone

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
Verizon Wireless....

Rose loves her Droid X, a good friend says his Droid 2 is better, Blackberry been around for a while,,,,

Time for a smart phone,,,, Who has what and what are some pros? Thanks

After switching to an android phone I could never go back to a blackberry. Can't comment on the specific phones though, just the operating system.

I have a Blackberry Bold 9650 on Verizon. It's OK. The screen is small compared to a Droid, iPhone, etc. Small keypad took some getting use to, but now I can type pretty quickly with it. I've had it for about six months now. Doesn't seem to be as many apps available for BB as there are for Droid, iPhone, etc. This phone also has a very slow boot-up time when the battery is pulled or a new app is installed that requires a reboot. Also, some apps can be real battery-life hogs, such as Weatherbug.

I just upgraded the OS to version 6 last week, and it does seem to be running better than with the previous version. So if you look for a BB make sure it has BB OS 6 or can run BB OS 6.

I had to get another one after two months because the track pad quit working. My wife has the same phone, and almost all of the paint has worn off of her keys. It's probably from her fingernails, but it could be a faulty phone.

If I had to do it over again when I got it last August, I probably would've gotten a Droid 2. Am still thinking of replacing it with a Droid, or now even an iPhone. Only thing holding me back with the iPhone is that I like a tactile keypad. I have an iPod touch, and typing on the touch screen takes some getting used to. If I do go w/iPhone, it won't be soon. I'll wait for the iPhone 5 to be released later this summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
LaRue,

I have a BlackBerry Bold like TrainTrac except my service is from AT&T. I have been using various models of Blackberry's for about 4 years. Each year the company I worked for would get me the latest model and I liked each model better than the previous, although there was vary little change in the functionality or features. I guess I got used to using the Blackberrys and that is my preference.

Just a side note. I recently read that the Blackberry Bold was rated by CNET as having the best keyboard of all the smartphones....beating out the iPhone and Droid. But as previously stated, it takes a little getting used to.

Before I retired from from my job, I purchased a Samsung Calibre touchscreen phone similar to an iPhone or Droid. The phone was fine however the service through MetroPCS was terrible. I could barely get a signal at my house and it constantly dropped calls because they did not have any towers nearby. The nice feature was that the service cost $50 a month, no contract, and not additional taxes. You got unlimited nation wide calling, unlimited data, and unlimited texting.

If you know anyone who has MetroPCS service in their area, and would like a $250 Samsung smartphone (only used one month) cheap, have them contact me...lol

The only thing I don't like about the touch-screen phones is that it's too easy to accidently touch the screen and start some app that you did not intend to.

...Rich

Droid is faster and has some very nice Apps.

I have the BB Storm 2 and it is a very nice phone. Touch screen and the screen in large enough to actually be able to see it.. LOL

The main reason I went with the BB over the Droid was, at the time I was looking you could not pigtail the droid and use it as a model for your computer, the BB can do it.

However, since then I have purchased a MiFi and never pigtail anymore, so if I was to do it again, I probably would have gone with the Droid.

One complain I have heard from more than a few is that the Droid drops calls fairly easy in fringe areas as compared to the BB for some reason.

I have Verizon BTW..

Woops, not sure what happened here. Must've clicked by mistake.

Love my Droid 2

Mike-CT, make sure the GPS, hotspot, etc, is turned off when not needed. But I know the internet drains it if you surf alot.

If the main use is web pages and casual sending of text messages, then the iPhone on the Verizon net is worth looking into and waiting for (this month sometime i think)

TJR

iPhone 4 became available for pre-order last week. Will be available for everyone coming this week.

Keep in mind the Verizon iPhone will be on the slower network as the hardware is NOT compatible with G4.

Which means, it will be slower than any other iPhone on the market at this time excluding some of the original iPhones that were produce a few years back.

The next generation will be on the G4 network and than all will be good with Verizon I would think.

BTW, I am a Verizon customer,,,,,

My wife and I swapped our Samsung Jacks for Captivates (Galaxy-S phones). Just make sure to get a later production one, because the first batch has random power shut down glitches. They are supposed to be updating them to the Android 2.2 soon, also.

I have had BB and now have the HTC Evo on the Sprint network. I love it!!!! And in St.Louis we have the 4g network and it is blazing fast.

Mike makes a good point about battery life. My daughter has an iPhone and the battery life sucks. She is always having to charge her phone. That's the major complaint that I have heard from almost everyone who has the iPhone...They love the phone but battery life is much too short. I don't know if they have larger batteries available?

I have been very pleased with my BlackBerry's battery. I put it on the charger when I go to bed and it runs all day and all evening long and I have never once ran out of battery power. I have even gone two days without a charge and had no problem, but 2 days is close to the limit. I generally talk on the phone for about 2 hours a day, and get about 12-15 emails, and about 10 text msgs. I don;t surf the web that much because the screen is too small for any serious surfing, but I do use the GPS and Pandora a little each day.

...Rich

Droid X has a longer life battery - I got it. Lasts about 5 minutes longer then the original one. I LOVE THE PHONE but the battery life sucks.

I got a home dock that I use at the office. Leave it plugged into it while at work. Always 100% charged that way.

Other then that, it rocks.

Latest posts