DRUG PROBLEM, How true it is.............

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieMRegalOne05 Legaspi

Reaction score
Receive this as an email message earlier and thought of sharing it.

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a Methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked

me a rhetorical question, ''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?''

I replied, I had a drug problem when I was young:

I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather. I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie,

brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me. I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my

mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity. I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's Garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dad's fields. I

was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, the world would be a better place.

i agree 100%...and i'm a kid (19) too...there is so much B.S. with the law these days that kids dont get what they ought to...my father never struck me besides a good whack on the butt, but i'll tell you, there is nothing wrong with that...even though i wasn't around back then,,,i'll agree that we need to start doing what we did years ago

You're not alone Rodger, those lines reminded me of my growing up days, not just with my Mom and Dad, but all the uncles and aunts as well as the teachers, village elders seems to have a free season on me each time I did something wrong or unacceptable. That's probably why I have big ears now, hahaha:D, though I got them on the butt too, with belts, 18" rulers, etc. Sure straightened me up though.

I totally agree Regal. I'm only 21 but those are very true words. There was actually a country song written recently (i cant remember by whom) that is very similar in nature.

I am only 17 and this is how my dad raised me. If more parents raised their kids like this then our world would certaintly be better. and i think that song you were talking about was Different World by Billy Covington.

Your kidding right? I know that this was meant as a look into past parrenting compaired to todays parrenting however I do belive that the drug problem was just as bad in the past as it is today. The drugs of choice are just different. In the past it was moslty pot which over time has changed to coke, E, morphine, haroine (spelled wrong), speed, crack, and any other drug combination.

Once that Crystal Meth hits the east coast and gets going it's curtains!!!! I hear that it is a doozey!!!

Drugs are bad, legalize them, let the users spike and level out then spend the money on education.

Joseymack

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a Methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked

me a rhetorical question, ''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?''

I replied, I had a drug problem when I was young:

....I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me. I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity. .... if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

If the author's parents did all these things to him when he was growing up, it's no wonder he started a meth lab in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county once he reached adulthood....

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, Grass was something you mowed, Weed was something you pulled and Crack was something you saw when the plumber bent over if he wasn't wearing bib overhauls.:lol:

Seriously though the drugs were there then, but not as bad as today. There are more dangerous ones out there today. Not only to ones system, but to anyone close to these people cooking the drugs. I have seen in the papers where they were cooking Meth in the same room where little babies were. Where it was camouflaged in trees or fields, even in moving vehicles. Do they even know or care what they are doing to there body? Have they seen pictures of people that have been on meth for a number of years? They look like the living dead.

Many here at this site are in their late 30s, 40s and 50s, and I think y'all might be deluding yourself if you think that drugs are worse today than they were say in the 60s or 70s.

Like violence in our cities the only thing that has changed between now and then is our increased awareness. If anything I would submit that there were many, many more young people on drugs in the 60s and early 70s than today.

TJR

If anything I would submit that there were many, many more young people on drugs in the 60s and early 70s than today.

Yeah and I was one of them. But it was different times and different drugs. The worst thing back then was heroin. Most heroin users deservedly OD at some time so you didn't really worry about them. I'm still a big proponent of legalizing marijuana, even though I would no longer consider using it. Some say it would lead to harder stuff but I think it would be just the opposite. The problem these days is things like meth are easier to obtain then pot. And why are we filling our overcrowded jails with pot smokers and forcing early release of robber's, rapist, and child abusers? Doesn't make sense. A pot smoker is not going to rob you. He would be lucky to even get off the couch.

TJR, IMHO you're absolutely right--except that I do agree with Darrel when he says that the drugs of today are, on average, more dangerous than they were 30-40 years ago.

I remember when I was 10-12 years old and a friend of mine talked me into going into a maintenence barn on a golf couse we sledded on. We went in through the roof vent and were just looking around and I thought of my Dad and the whipping I would have gotten if he found out. The hair on the back of my neck stood up and I couldn't get out of there fast enough. FEAR will make you think right.

My Dad was my friend but he was my father first!! Sometimes I'd get it for reason's I didn't understand but most times I deserved it and learned from it. There is a difference between a whipping(spanking for the politically correct) and a beating and I don't condone beatings.

I think if some of these kids today had folks who were trying to be their parent instead of their friend, we wouldn't have so many problems in our society. There will always be issues though....there will always be bad apples. I used to tell my daughter that I loved her enough to tell her no!

Just the ramblings of a 55 year old "kid"! Just my opinion!

Gary G
:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a difference between a whipping and a beating....

Yeah, but neither are acceptable for discipline.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not against physical punishment being part of child raising. A spanking, given appropriately and at an appropriate time, can have its place. But anything that advances beyond that, to the point where it would be categorized as either "whipping" or "beating" is completely uncalled for.

Maybe this is just a difference in region/era word usage, and where/when you're from, the concept of "whipping" means something different to you than it does to me. But if it doesn't, you're out of your mind. You can be a strong, even strict, parent, the kind I think you're suggesting, without resorting to physical abuse.

I'm 19 and from a very early age I've had the difference between what's right and what's wrong along with strong values has been instilled in me since a very early age. Never once have any of my parents hit me unless we were wrestling or kidding around in which case it wasn't actually a hit. I have been told I am a hard worker and a good all around person. The key to my success has been threats since I was little and two parents with tempers that scare even grown me, in just sheer rage. We have a saying around our house and it's probably true in some others around here "when mom's not happy no one's happy." I think if parents said no every once in awhile, made it clear what was right and wrong, and kept a closer eye on their kids, the world would be a little better place. If that fails bring back corporal punishment that seemed to work. :D

Bill V:

In California some folks call a soft drink a soda but kids here in the Midwest have a "pop". I guess some folks on the left coast would be appalled at a kid getting a "pop" here in Ohio!

I guess if you look for bad intentions from a persons statements, you can find them. It never hurt me to get my butt busted(my butt didn't actually bust) or an a** whippen! I possibly spanked my kids a total of 10 times in their lives....but they sure new how to act! Of course, some would think a child shouldn't have to "act"! Most out there will understand what I'm talking about.

This type of response is why I seldom respond in a post where it can get distorted. Most likely I may may just post STquestions and get only in "hey, congrats on being ST of the week" type postings in the future. I love the ST information that is available on this site but "off topics" can suck and be traps for those waiting for the next arguement. I tire of some who are out there just waiting for the next arguement. This where this site is not satisfying to me.

I don't like to argue and try to be too critical of others words because words can be interpreted different ways. Maybe it's because of my Dad's spanking (whipping) me????

Take care,

Gary G
:D

Gary G said:

This type of response is why I seldom respond in a post where it can get distorted. Most likely I may may just post STquestions and get only in "hey, congrats on being ST of the week" type postings in the future. I love the ST information that is available on this site but "off topics" can suck and be traps for those waiting for the next arguement. I tire of some who are out there just waiting for the next arguement. This where this site is not satisfying to me.

I don't like to argue and try to be too critical of others words because words can be interpreted different ways. Maybe it's because of my Dad's spanking (whipping) me????

Amen & Awomen to that.

Latest posts