Dying Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith L 2

Reaction score
Sometimes on my '01 Sport Trac it seems to almost want to die when I shift into neutral or park. The RPM's drop then come back up. Been doing this about a week now. Any ideas as to what it is?

Dirty IAC or busted vacum hose are the most common causes. There's a project to clean the IAC, and if you search, you should be able to find a pic of the most commonly failing vacum hose and location in the engine bay.

Is the AC compressor cycling (usually runs unless in heat/lower position)?? If yes, find the adjust idle project....bring it up a small amount. Compressor needs certain RPM to run or cycles on and off for safety...almost stalls out engine sometimes. Easy fix.

He used RPM, they're shorter. If he didn't know, he'd ask or look it up.

CEL - Check Engine Light

IAC - Idle Air Compressor (I think)

Chops...do you remember Q from Star Trek...he was always a very difficult entity full of absurb actions....:lol:

Hey Guys, Please help us with this problem I also have the same problem on my 01 st. What is the IAC and how do you clean that? I also have another problem when I acelerate I get a strange noise coming from the engine. It sounds like the heads are hitting but then it goes away after I go over 40mph..

It sounds like a low chattering until about 2.5 to 3K under acceleration? Sounds like the timing chain is rattling. Quite common. There is a TSB on it. Found it on the NHTSA site.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/results.cfm

The bulletin number for the timing chain is 020801,

NHTSA Item Number: 10011150

Description: RATTLE NOISE FROM PRIMARY CHAIN DRIVE AREA 2000-3000 RPM - 4.0L SOHC ENGINE. *TT

As for the IAC, ask and ye shall receive, check the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Larry for all your info.. Does this mean I need a new timing, (belt) (chain) I don't know a whole lot, Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice. I've had to clean the IAC on my old Ranger but could not find it on this truck. Had no idea it was under the plastic cover. By the way, the abbreviation I had the most trouble with on a Ford forum was GP, which was "glow plug". The forum involved diesel trucks. TGIF "thank goodness its Ford"

Often times, I think the tensioner has been replaced. I haven't done it personally (mine does rattle) but others here have had it worked on under warrenty. Hopefully they can tell you what was done to remedy the situation.