eco-boost.... anyone experience this ...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OOPs......Ford..........

The euro versions dont seem to be having as much truoble. Must be something EPA is requiring????????????????

How many of these engines have been sold though and only 3 poeple are on the lawsuit and around 100 drivers had the issues... Just seems that that's only a small percentage of the engines that have been sold.

My personal opinion is that you shouldn't have to resort to 'boosting' (through any means) the air intake just to provide acceptable (desired) power for normal driving needs.

I understand why they have done it, but I don't like it, nor approve it.

Andy I read somewhere in the article. Where it said, the US versions had more fires than the euro's. Maybe it was an extra link. Or I got confussed.

Im confussed I cant find what I read about ecoboost fires.

Uncle Bob,

I agree that the engine should provide adequate power for normal driving without resorting to boost. However, that typically requires larger displacement engines with more cylinders, but they require more fuel even at lower speeds.

Ford's ecoBoost engines are a compromise to get the good gas mileage of a small engine, but yet be able to get a little kick in the pants when you want the power to pass or pull a steep hill. Of course that extra power requires more fuel so mileage drops to the level of a larger engine when you pushing the engine for more power.

None of this is new engine technology, but what Ford has done is keep the compression ratio rather high for more power and control the dentonation of high compression-turbocharged engines with precisely timed direct-injection. The key factor is that the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber just before the spark plug fires. If the fuel is injected any earlier, the engine would be prone to severe Pre-Ignition (dentonation). The logical theory is that you cannot have pre-ignition if there is no fuel in the combustion chamber until the spark plug is ready to fire. Injecting fuel directly into the combustion chamber cools the cylinder and further helps to reduce heat and pre-ignition

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, when my girl friend told me I had a big...uh, house. Oh wait, I thought you said ego boost. Never mind.