EGR System Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Schaecher

Reaction score
You guys are my #1 goto's for help on this subject...

I have a 1996 Taurus with a CHECK ENGINE light on. It was about EGR valve. I replaced that about 1 month ago and am still having issues.

The Hayes manual I have gave me information on the vacuum and the backpressure monitor that does not correspond to the values I am reading.

The manual gives a reistance value of 30-70 ohms across the contacts of the vacuum, I am actually getting ZERO.

The REF VOLT (reference voltage) for the backpressure monitor is supposed to be +5.0 +/- .1 volts. The reading is comming up all over the place, none of which is in the given voltage area.

What do I believe? Where is there any other connection for the REF VOLT line to check continuity and/or proper voltage?

The downside to all of this is I am leaving at dawn for Canada for two weeks from an airport 1.5 hours away, and the wife needs the other car, so putting the Taurus in the shop is out of the question (the wife cannot take me to the airport).

Any thoughts??

Either a bad wire, OR is there an egr position sensor, or even a egr solenoid that you can replace to see if thats it?

Todd Z

The vacuum operated value was replaced. There are ZERO electronic interface cable on this portion.

I am affraid to pull apart the wire loom to trace down the wire with 14 hours until I leave for two weeks.

The three parts that I can find information about are the backpressure sensor (DPFE?), vacuum solinoid and egr valve.

The early Fords had many issues with the EGR systems.

Most of the times the issue was not the EGR itself. It was normally a dirty (restricted) or plugged channel under the EGR. Most of those vehicles the EGR mounts onto a mounting plate. Remove both the EGR and the plate and then you will be able to see the channels.

For some reason they get completely full of carbon and create huge diagnostic issues. The readings are way off as the airflow is restricted to non-existent.

I have had to do a major clean out of literally hundreds of the ear;y EGR systems..