EGR valve

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HD RoadKing

Reaction score
I replaced my EGR valve after my check engine light came on (Coded as air restriction EGR, after replacement I disconnected my battery to reset light) and about 5 miles later, check engine light came on again. The guy at Auto Zone says that the pipe that hooks to the EGR valve and runs down to the exaust is probaly clogged. Have any of you heard of this? Any help would be appreciated.

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Tom, Todd Z, I have that problem(CEL) and I have replaced both the elbow hose and the DPFE sensor, but still have the CEL come on. I tried the battery disconnect but CEL still comes on. Had the local Ford dealer do the $99.00 diagnosis and they had it as some vaccuum leak under or around the intake area. Cost would be about $470 (including the diagnosis). I don't know what gives with this, but from a state inspection attempt, they said that it was an oxygen sensor. Ford dealer said IT IS NOT THE 02 SENSOR. I just don't get it, but sometimes it is MAYBE more than those little simple fixes. Just thought I would interject that it could sometimes be more than what it obviously seems. I am going to replace the EGR valve itself and have the lines cleaned out and hope that is the end of that, if not, then maybe they are right about the vac leak around the intake.

Same codes, different advice, replaced parts, same CEL.

:eek::(:huh::wacko::unsure:

What you need to do, Is double check the elbow and make sure it is tight.

Then Get us the exact code that the computer is saying..... An autozone or sometimes other places will read it for free. OR for about 20 bucks buy a obdII reader off Ebay.

It could be a cracked intake manifold, bad gasket, Dirty MAF sensor.

Todd Z

It is a Air flow sensor, It is bolted to the air filter top... If you open the air box and look into the intake tube you will see it, Get a can of contact cleaner, and just lightly spray it in there..

That will clean it..

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]: