Electrical Switches

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Cramer

Reaction score
Ok guys and gals. I'm looking for ideas here. I have an 02 and I'm getting ready to pull up my center console and add in the additional lighter outlets for my Sirius radio, and my cell phone charger. What I want to do is add switches to the lines so I can control them better. I'm looking for ideas for switch locations that others have already used or tried and thought better of. I'm actually thinking about fab'ing something up that goes in my overhead console, but want other ideas first.

Thanks.

Cramer,

Here is a link from my library showing what I did to a 98 Explorer Sport a few years ago. The Sport does not have an overhead console, so I had to build one. All the swithces were functional and were also fused through a fuse box under the driver's seat. Of course, the wires were all bundled under the windshield trim. I also wired LEDs to all of the swithces.

The swithces operated such things and running lights, additional auxiliary power supplies, Amateur 2 meter radio and some other things that slip my mind right now.

Check later tomorrow for another view of the switches in my library. I just uploaded it to my library but it will take a while for it to be approved and posted.

David <><

I have some switched on the front side of the 'junk tray' as seen in this picture. It's a good location, but if you tend to keep alot of stuff in the tray, it can be in the way. I've also seen someone put low profile switches on the flat top area between the cup holders which seemed like a good location to me.

[Broken External Image]:

Here's mine. It's a plexiglass box that's fiberglassed into the console top. The top panel comes off to access the wiring and fuses. The cool thing about the plexiglass, is that it's backlit. But if you do it this way, of course you loose the ashcup.

[Broken External Image]:

thanks alot guys for some good ideas. I'm actually thinking along the lines of what Larry showed me. Not the plexi option. In one of his pics I noticed the small switches on the driver side of the console, but down low.

It's either going to be there, or rethink my overhead idea using some black plexi.

How do you get the top off of the center console? I need to hide some wireing under there for a CB and a GPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul, it just pulls up. Takes alittle more force to get it off the first time. I always start by pulling the back part up some first nearest the console storage.

Cramer let us know what you decide. I too am looking to put at least three switches somewhere but I have not decided where yet. I have already purchased the switches. After looking at several types at several auto parts stores I actually ended up buying them right at Walmart. They are rocker toggle switches so they will be much less likely to be bumped on accidently. They are round, black, and available with a red, amber,green, or blue light up led. They mount in a 1" hole and will not take up very much room. Just thought I would throw that out there in case you had not decided on switches yet. I am also considering the drivers side of the center console. or maybe somewhere below and to the right of the steering wheel.

Latest posts