elliptical trainer owners

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Hartwig

Reaction score
For those with elliptical trainers, can somebody measure the distance from the floor to the highest point as the pedal swings up? We are still researching them but I am 6'4" and am wondering if I would hit my head on the ceiling on the upstroke if we put it downstairs where the ceiling is 7'6". thanks alot

You are correct in researching this, I have low ceilings in my basement but luckily both of us are short, my wife can't wear her shoes on it. I'll try and measure tonight or tomorrow.

We have a Horizon brand.

I was going to say something like it depends on the brand - some trainers have a longer (forward and back) stroke, and some have a higher (up and down) stroke, but with only a 14 inch clearance, I think you're going to hit your head. Even with the trainers that have more lateral movement, you're still gaining 6-8 inches just by stepping on the machine.

So how do you feel about the cross-country skiing trainers?

But--even if you gain that 6-8 inches that kefguy mentions, you might be OK. In typical use, you're not standing vertically with your leg straight when the pedal is at the top of its orbit. You're closest to that position when the pedal is at the very bottom of its orbit. You'll obviously want a bit more space than simply adding your height and the minimum pedal height, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of getting one if, for example, the top of the orbit is at 14 inches. If the mimimum orbit is, say, 8 inches, you're probably AOK (unless you get claustrophobic when you're even close to a ceiling.)

And if you tend to sweat significantly when exercising, and the ceiling is that close, be sure that the ceiling's surface is fairly waterproof and cleanable!

I'd recommend requesting both a minimum and maximum pedal height from anyone that responds.

Ours is a Vision Fitness X6100

Minimum pedal height = 10"

Maximum pedal height = 17"

Stride distance = 20"

on this model your never any higher than your body height plus the lowest pedal height because your knee bends as your foot goes to the highest position

Wow . .I was just about to buy one and did not even think about this issue . .I have short ceilings as well . .

New balance 9.0e platform is 14 inches off the ground at highest point. When the two platforms are level in mid-stride, they are at 11 inches from the ground. I'm 5'8" and I top out at about 80" when on the machine.