Emergency Brake shoes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Lewis

Reaction score
Just replaced front and rear rotors and pads with SP performance slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads! S/T has all kinds of braking power now!! Way better than OEM. My problem was with the emergency brakes. The brake shoes (03 ST with 4 wheel disc) on the emergency brakes where wore thin caused by a malfunctioning actuator on the passenger side. Froze solid would be more accurate!! Never could tell because it was only slightly dragging, wearing out the shoes on that side. To those who have never seen these parts, they look like they belong on a go-cart, not a passenger carrying vehicle ! Anyway, priced the shoes from Ford. Should have known, 140.00 dollars ! :eek:YEAH RIGHT!! After a few comments about the quality of dope he was smoking, I politely declined the purchase. :angry:(And they wonder why people dont buy OEM as much) Please, no comments about OEM quality being that much better, as previously stated, these things are crap to begin with. Luckily , I found a guy at advance who cross referenced them in some older books and low and behold, found them for 17.99 ! Definitely helps when you come across a counter person who actually knows what they are doing!:D

Iam 56yrs old, and I grew up with counter people knowing parts and how to put them on..It is a rare thing nowdays..if it is not on the computer screen, most of the time you get a blank stare...ask too hard of a question, they loose their mind or brush you off so they stay sane and in control....:lol:

That's why I like Pep Boys...they can install ANYTHING they sell...even remote starters and the like (I hear they can be a bear). They always know their stuff, sometimes more than the dealership guys(who would also be lost without the computer screen)

Well some employees are good and some blow chuncks even at pepboys,,

my buddy took his chebby in with a torn rag joint,, nobodt a Pepboys had any idea how to fix it, what the part was called ,, nothing,, its like a mid 80s S-10 Blazer,, not exaclty that old or tha uncommon..

so I went over an showed him where they hung on the peg in the motor mite help section...

I am use to a blank stare at the parts counter,,

"what year?"

'1973'

'What make of vehicle sir?"

'IHC'

"Ah who makes that,, Ford , Chevy?"

'Its an International'

"Yes but who built it, don't you know"

'Well its an international Harvester'

"is this a car we are talking about?"

'Yes, they wer built by International Harvestor Corporation,

its on the screen in front of you under IHC'

"Oh, I never noticed that before"..

"Does that have a Chevy block in it?"

'Is this someone else here who can help me find some parts?'

:lol:

Very few people actually put the emergency brake shoes back on. You will find that almost always they drag or make noise. I swear the aftermarket shoes are thicker then the OEM shoes.

I have had to turn the inside of the rotors to allow for the replacement shoes.

I bought the rotors and pads from http://www.raceshopper.com/. 150.00 fro the front and 190.00 for the rear. Pads were about 120.00. The emergency brake shoes were 17.99 from Advance.

As far as the parts from Raceshopper, delivery was fast and the service was great. They had about the best prices on these parts I could find.

As far as quality, that remains to be seen, since I only put them on 2 days ago, but so far I could not be happier !:D The S/T never had so much braking power !!