End of Line: 2005 XLT Needs New Engine

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holyguacamole

Reaction score
Looks like we're having to move on from my son's 2005 Sport Trac w/ 128,415 miles on it.

It stranded him the other day and we had it towed in. It had been having other issues engine-wise and this was the last straw. Water pump gave out, belt flew off, coolant leaked out and engine seized.

Mechanic called today and a used engine will cost $4500 (160k miles) - $5000 (138k miles) so we're going to invest in a different vehicle instead.

What is the best option for getting rid of an otherwise okay vehicle? Salvage yard? Scrap metal? I don't have time or space to part it out.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

[updated to include accurate mileage]

Last edited:
It's a sad day.

ouch, sorry to hear but if body is solid throw it on market for 1500 or 2000, it should sell. put some pics on here and list your price. i am just mentioning what i have bought a couple for.

Last edited:
ya might check a few other shops out there to, i have been quoted less then 2k for used engine and install with 6 month warranty but thats for a 04, 2 wheel dr, but that sounds pricey for used engine. crate motors are 3500 new.

Thanks for the replies.

A lot of the parts have been hard to come by and the mechanic said the same on a used engine (I've looked as well). I'm just not interested in spending that kind of money on fixing up a 2005 vehicle.

I'll have to take some photos when I can. It is black w/ 2WD.

try here, craigslist, fb marketplace - ask $1000 and see what happens. I've seen Sport Tracs with busted engine/transmission sell at that asking price, not sure how much they actually sold for though. Also then you have to deal with Craigslist flakey buyers..
Scrap metal and salvage will pay about the same, $1-200 or so maybe.

When I've priced motors they seem to come out about $3k plus install, it would not be worth it to me either.. so I just keep doing the maintenance on schedule and hoping for the best..

Has it always been a Texas truck? What condition are the paint, body, interior in? Can you post pictures of it? Also, what part of Texas are you in?

It's being towed back home today from the shop and I'll post photos this weekend. To my knowledge, it has only been a Texas truck. We are the third owner (one was a pastor and one was a missionary, more on that in a minute). We bought it for our teenage son to give him something decent to drive and it was working out well. We had replaced the battery, alternator, ground cable, fuel pressure sensor and harmonic balancer. The engine was a little hesitant recently and that's when we had to have the harmonic balancer replaced. We thought we were good, but coming home the other day, the water pump went out, the coolant dropped out and here we are. (I suspect we had a coolant leak earlier in the day, that he didn't realize). We've had the vehicle about three years and two months.

It came with good tires with raised white lettering. While learning how to park next to a curb, my son managed to wear the letters down and leave two tires with a white ring (poor man's white sidewalls). Three years later, they are still in good condition, but he was looking at replacing them this Christmas for aesthetic reasons. He aded a new, bluetooth-enabled stereo, but otherwise the interior is stock. All power windows work, including the back window and so do all of the locks. We have the bed cover, but took it off so he could haul some things. It also came with a U-haul tow bar.

Paint is good, but will revisit it and post photos with spots I notice. Tailgate has a dent around the handle. Otherwise the body is good, but not perfect. If I recall, the pastor took pretty good care of it. It was later sold or given to the missionary family. He worked in construction management when not on the mission field, which I think explains the dent on the tailgate. There is a spot where I think he dented a corner of the rear (between the bumper and the taillight) and a buddy helped him patch it up and painted it black. Not the best patch job, but I think this was a "helping out a missionary friend" job. I would have done it differently, but honestly, I forget it is there unless I am looking right at it. The paint coating on the gas cover has faded / chipped, but that is all I can recall, off the top of my head.

We cleaned up the interior quite a bit when we first got it (missionary had a clean heart, but didn't keep a clean interior). My son had recently steam cleaned the inside and cleaned it up more just from his general use. It looked good before our current situation. The console top needs to be replaced. Previous owner broke it and tried to "fix it". We were looking for a console replacement when the engine seized.

We're in West Texas (Lubbock, specifically).

I'll post photos this weekend and if I notice something, I'll let you know. I prefer honesty above all. I know a lot of things are subjective until you see photos ("clean", "dents", "paint" etc).

Let me know if you have any other questions and thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
It might be a good truck for someone local. You probably want to advertise it locally and maybe CarGuru.

Now here is something I can speak with experience. My son borrowed my Sport Trac a couple of years ago the cheap thermostat housing started leaking ST ran hot and engine seized. I put a remanufactured Jasper engine in the 2002 model truck total cost including installation was $6,000 with a 100,000 mile warranty . I know this sounds a little stupid but given the price of new or used vehicles and how much I like the Sport Trac I went with replacing the motor. I have no regrets.

Now here is something I can speak with experience. My son borrowed my Sport Trac a couple of years ago the cheap thermostat housing started leaking ST ran hot and engine seized. I put a remanufactured Jasper engine in the 2002 model truck total cost including installation was $6,000 with a 100,000 mile warranty . I know this sounds a little stupid but given the price of new or used vehicles and how much I like the Sport Trac I went with replacing the motor. I have no regrets.
Hope you've now installed an aluminum thermostat housing?

Last edited:
Looks like we're having to move on from my son's 2005 Sport Trac w/ 128,415 miles on it.

It stranded him the other day and we had it towed in. It had been having other issues engine-wise and this was the last straw. Water pump gave out, belt flew off, coolant leaked out and engine seized.

Mechanic called today and a used engine will cost $4500 (160k miles) - $5000 (138k miles) so we're going to invest in a different vehicle instead.

What is the best option for getting rid of an otherwise okay vehicle? Salvage yard? Scrap metal? I don't have time or space to part it out.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

[updated to include accurate mileage]
I ordered a complete long block for mine from Promar engines with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty for $2765.

how did that engine work for ya, just went to site and for k code reman its 2849. and i am looking for one and thats a good price, thank you for posting that...

I'd probably look into say a Jasper engine or something like that. At least you'd have a warranty, + you'd still own a vehicle that YOU KNOW!! + it'd still be a Sport Trac !!!!!

Latest posts