Engine Break-In

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris G

Reaction score
Well after almost three weeks with my 07 V8, I have hit 1500 miles. I heard that at 1500 you should replace the oil to get the metal shavings out. I am going to go with Synthetic oil, I know this is going to put me off of the 5000 maintenance list, but I'd rather get the "gunk" out. Anyone have any thoughts/comments/or suggestions? What kind of motor oil and filters do you guys & gals use?

I did skim the recent posting about motor oil-- but it only answered some of my questions.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Get any good name brand 5w/20 Not synthetic yet. Use a motorcraft filter..

Then at 5,000 miles change it again,,,, Then your back on schedule...

I'd run synthetics at 1.5K miles. I'd use Mobil 1 for three reasons: It is a real synthetic with a PAO base , it is the cheapest of its kind and is readily available. I've used synthetics in all my vehicles at about 1K miles with absolutely no ill affect.

I use Mobil 1 Synth in both my Contour and Sport Trac. Use the best filter available (lately it's been motorcraft) and change the filter every 3k miles and top off the synth.

I picked up a Motorcraft filter for $4 from the dealer, and I am just on the fence about whether or not to put synthetic in now at 1500 miles. Some people say its just fine, and they prefer to run straight synthetic as soon as they can, but other people say to wait until 5,000 to run synthetic.

Chris,

You will not hurt ANY thing if you use regular oil. Your going to take it easy on it till the 5000 mile mark any way right????

Use regular oil this time, and go synthetic the next...

Todd Z

I got Ghosty in March. At 5000 miles, I put in Motorcraft filter and Mobil 1. I never ran a synthetic before, but, hey, it's a brand new world out there, and I never hear anything bad about Mobil 1. (I will now that I said that!!!)

Speaking of breaking in, has anyone done any research on periodically putting it 1st or 2nd and running the rpms up and then back down. Not racing around all the time and not sustaining high rpms, just up pretty high and then back down a few times a couple of times. I've read that breaking in an engine by constantly babying it leads to glazing on the cylinder walls and a relatively poor seal with the piston rings. Not sure if that applies to modern production cylinder walls/rings or what other issues may be present. I know all the manuals say take it easy, and I also understand there are many reasons for recommending this that have nothing to do with effectively breaking in an engine. I'm interested in real experiences with breaking in engines. Thanks.

PRM,

During the "Break-in" period, I just drove my Trac like I planned on driving it. The only difference is that I did not stay at one speed on the highway. I would go frm 75 to 55, then to 65, then back up to 75. I just made sure I did not stay the same speed for too long. Besides that, I did not worry about it.

Tom

Yup, like Caymen says. In the manual it states to not cruise at a constant speed during the break in period, so you wouldn't want to take your new truck, hit the highway and go for a 10 hour drive at a constant speed. I imagine city driving is ideal for breaking in a new engine with all the stop/go traffic.

Latest posts