Engine Dies when Cold

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kane Oster

Reaction score
Hey guys, whenever I start my truck up and get it going. I shift it in to drive or reverse and if i dont apply any gas right away it tries to die. I was just wondering if anyone has an idea of what it might be? I plan on taking it to the dealership probably when I get back from my honeymoon on in a week and a half (getting married Sat). If anyone has any ideas or if you need more info I will try to explain more.

Thanks alot guys!!!!

Wow... OK! Thanks you guys. I'm like at 95K and she just started doing this thing of sometimes wanting to die after initial crank-up when it's cold outside.

To prevent it from dying I'd have to make mental note to give it some throttle for a second just after ignition to boost the revs up just enough for that initial period of time, and then she'd be good to go, just as before.

I figured it was something related to the intake of fuel. Was gonna go have'em clean the injectors with that solvent drip into the intake lines that they do... but this sounds like a much better series of steps to try.

I was kinda freaked-out though because this started happening after I had went thru several audio upgrading steps (though did not happen until cold mornings started to roll in)... so I was sorta worried that maybe something was causing a large initial current draw during ignition-switch turn-on. Such as maybe the capacitor perhaps leaking voltage during down-time!? So I replace the wimpy capactiro I had with a 2 Farad one, just to rule that out.

I was also thinking it could be a sympton associated with fuel filter needing a changing? Or perhaps fuel pump having issues at low engine speeds.... but these steps logically sound more like the cure/cause.

Anybody in SoCal kno where to get this SeaFoam?