Engine noises at start up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. Olenko

Reaction score
Two questions. 1). At start up when really cold I get a noise that sounds like a "shooping" type noise. It reminds sometimes of an exhaust leak or something at the front of the engine that rotates and needs lube. The sound does go away after a short while.

2). I get a chirping noise under the hood sometimes, much like a cricket noise. It was there when I bought the truck. I replaced the alternator, idler pulley, and belt tensioner. It did seem to vanish but now I hear it again. Many people I know recommended spraying my serpentine with WD-40 which I reluctantly finally tried. It may have worked slightly but I don't see how that can help anything in the long run. It almost sounds like it is coming from the alternator which was replaced two months ago. Any thoughts on the two questions?

The low tone noise at start up is probably the intake box since you say it goes away. Mine does ghat when it's cold out too, especially when I have my CAI on. It goes away aftr high idle and truck is warmed up, right? The high pitch noise could be as simple as moisture/ dirt in the alternator or the idler pulley, just replaced my idler pulley because it was worn out and making those noises.

Engine noises are nearly impossible to diagnose without being able to hear them. What you describe as a "Swooping" sound, someone else might describe as a "Roaring" sound?? Since it goies away quickly it's probably nothing to worry about.

As for the "Chirping" sound, my guess is that you may have a bad idler/tension pully. That has been a common problem with the Sport Trac engines with the serpentine belts. it may not be source of the chirping, but if it is bad it can cause belt misalignment wihich can cause the chiping to come from the belt rubbing on the pulleys of nearby components.

...Rich

I had been having fan belt chirping issue with 2008 Sport Trac Adrenalin. I just took it back and the dealer let me know there is a service bulletin on this issue and they added some parts and replaced the belt. All fixed now. Not sure if this is related but the service bulletin just came out on the V6 engine.

Latest posts