engine scaring me...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorgie Hidalgo

Reaction score
everytime im on the highway which is at least twice a week i get scared. like im gonna die. lol just kidding. but really theres a noise coming from my engine when the exhaust goes quiet like from 40-50, and from 60-75. it sounds like nails being shaken in a tupperware(if that makes any sense) ive read about it before here but i forgot what you guys said it was. i was told it was my knock sensors?i dont know its alot of rattling it sounds like my engines gonna blow up. if anyone is familiar with this, please let me know what it is lol

Sounds like the timing chain rattling. It is one of those things that a lot of Sport Trac owners deal with. Mine has been doing it for a year now, I just try to ignore it. I have heard that it isn't doing any harm, and can do it for a long time before you have any issues.

Brett

Have you tried using one step up in octane fuel. i.e. going from 87 Octane to 89 Octane.

Your description, which is rather useless to be honest, sounds like pinging.

Tom

Does it do it at idle or just off idle also? If so could be the catylyst brick in one of the converters is loose.

i had something happen to mine that sounded exactly like what your describing, i took it in while it was under warrentee. they ended up replacing my muffler and it hasnt happened sense. i never would have guessed???

One time mine my girlfriends car was doing the same thing and my mechanic said he found some gravel around the cat and they were causing some rattle pretty bad.

Then again, maybe it is a Tupperware bowl full of nails that's under the front seat :lol::lol:

Just kidding.

It could be spark-knock (Pinging) caused by excessive carbon build up in the engine. or it could be the infamous timing-chain rattle, although it should not be doing that at highway speeds.

If it does it only during acceleration, than it's probably spark knock caused by excessive carbon build up in the engine. That can damage the engine and needs to ve corrected. There are kits like SeaFoam that can clean that out. If you increase the octane of your fuel an it eliminates the problem, that is not really a cure, since eventually the higher octane fuel will start pinging too, and then you will have to go to premium fuel and that too will start to ping. The only cure is to clean out the carbon.

If it does not rattle on acceleration, or higher octane fuel does not solve the problem,then it's probably the timing chain rattle. That's harmless but annouing. That requires a parthial engine teardown to fix the chain tensioners.

...Rich

lol sorry. yea id say pinging. and the gas hasnt worked...ive tried all types 87,89,93. i mean i dont want to ignore it anymore it sounds bad to me. FastEddie- it doesnt do it at idle it only does it when im accelerating. so what should i do?im not under warranty anymore but if i have to go to Ford then thats fine i just want to fix it. should i just go to Ford and tell them what i hear to see if they can fix it or should i try the seafoam and all those things?

Using seafoam takes about 20 minutes to do and alot cheaper to do this first before taking it to the dealer. It is easy to do yourself and could save a few dollars . . .

Latest posts