Ethanol in non FFV vehicles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1cntrler

Reaction score
Question for the board- Here in VA we have been going through some fuel shortages. It is getting better, but a coule of time I have actually had to go out in search of gas to fill my tank, as all the stations run out of all grades. They blame the shortage on the supply line--not enough ethanol-mix fuel to go around. Anyways-- My ST and the wife's 300M Special are not FFV vehicles. How will this effect our cars in the long run?? I thought that the difference between FFV and not was the type of line it used (rubber/plastic not affected by the ethanol in FFv vehicle?) All the stations are now posting signs saying 10% ethanol, all grades on thier pumps. This is my favorite quote from a local news paper:

"Mechanics and federal officials insist there will be no effect on a vehicle’s engine and only a minimal decrease in how far you can go on a tank of gas, but consumers likely will see an increase in gas prices."

So what hey are saying is I'll pay more to go not as far?? Is this right?? :wacko:

Also--anyone know if the '07 will be FFV friendly in the V8 version??

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend who does the bio-diesel and E85 gas, Said he has run up to 25% in a NON FF vehicle. Just have to make sure the fuel parts are plastic or stainless Steel... Aluminum will be damaged over time.. ALSO the NON ff vehicle cant adjust for the Ethanol.

Todd Z

Manufacturers usually only recommend up to 15%-18% ethanol on a non-FFV vehicle. Any more than that can damage fuel system parts. Alcohol is highly corrosive and requires fuel lines and fittings, etc that are specially designed for alcohol.

So you are save to use the 10% ethanol that may be available in your area. Some states used blended gas/alcohol all the time and just call it gasoline, but if you read the sticker on the pump it will tell you the exact amount of ethanol alcohol that has been added to the gasoline. It is used as an inexpensive method of increasing octane.

...Rich

There are two types of alcohol fuel, E85, good ole corn squeezin's, and M85 that is distilled from wood or heavy cellulose. Don't know of any M85 on the market but there was a time when there were two FFV codes for Ford products-M85 takes stainless fuel parts-its nasty stuff on steel. E85 will eat certain plastic parts but should be OK for steel.

I've heard folks running up to 50% blends of E85 and reg gas in summer, wouldn't do it in cold weather, too much E85 won't light the fire.

Larry,

M85 is Methanoll which is the type of fuel used in Indy Car racing. I have never heard of Methanol being sold as fuel for street driven vehicles??? About 20 years ago most manufacturers would not recommend any ethanol alcohol based fuels and some limited it to no more than 10%.

And there is no point in mixing E85 with gasoline in a non-FFV engine since gasoline with about 10% ethanol is already widely available, just read the stickers on the pump and you may be suprised to find that they have already blended some amount of ethanol alcohol into the fuel as an octane booster.

...Rich

I think methanol was available on a limited basis a few years ago in CA-its been a few years since I've done any research. I was looking at an FFV Taurus, a 97 or 98, I believe at the time-thats where I ran across the two different codes for E85 and M85. It could be gone now, all I've heard of lately was E85.