Ethenol SUCKS!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
Well,

I just got back from a trip to Orlando (from Ft Lauderdale) and the trip up was fine. :driving: Filled up with "real gas" and got 22.5mpg. :banana:

The trip home was different. Filled up with the fake crap and got 19.2mpg on the way home.

All the conditions were the same, same speed limits, same roads and no head winds in either direction.

I HATE THAT CRAP! :angry:

My 2 cents

That's probably the main reason why ethanol can't compete in the market place against gasoline without gov't subsidies. Who wants to buy a product that's ultimately going to cost you more money? The only reason the price-per-gallon at the pump is less than gas is due to the fact that the gov't (you, me, & everyone else who PAYS taxes) subsidizes the agriculture and ethanol industries.:angry:

And I didn't know that the Gen 2 V8 was a flex-fuel engine...

If you are talking about E85, and only saw a 15% drop in mileage you did very well. Last time I tried E85 in our 2001 Taurus our mileage dropped by over 40%.

If you are talking about E10, That drop may be about right. I also try to use gas without any ethanol in it, but its getting very hard to find.

If you are talking about E10, That drop may be about right. I also try to use gas without any ethanol in it, but its getting very hard to find.

That's because the Federal mandate requiring E10/E15 was enacted as another subsidy to keep ethanol on the market. Like I said, it can't compete/survive on its own merit in a free market. Just another "payback" by politicians to the farm lobby.

Wait, where do ya'll get gas that isn't 10% ethanol?

I've gone up through rural New England, and across the God-Forsaken wastelands of Canada on the ridiculously criminal Trans-Canada Highway (The Only Road), and never have I found anything without the Ethanol of suck.

I've gotten 22 mpg on one leg of this trip. With E0, I could have gotten a few more MPG, and this annoys me greatly.

I know that in NJ, only E10 can be sold, no more, no less. What I did notice on some of my motorcycle trips, once out past the Philadelphia area, my mileage would drop from 45mpg to 32mpg. Other states have higher limits of ethanol in thier gas (try to buy from a national dealer, Shell, Exxon Sunoco, etc.). Only once I got back into Sunoco range did my mpg go up. BC :banghead::banghead:

When we had our 2005 Explorer, I tried E85 in it one time. I filled up in the Dallas area and drove to Shreveport. I could normally go the same trip on about a half a tank. When we got to Greenwood, which is just across the Texas/Louisiana line on I20, we were sucking fumes.

Lookin' for trouble man???

ROFL, anyone who believes that there is anything between Ottawa & Winnipeg on the Trans-Can & has been there is in denial. If only VIA Rail had an auto train--it'd make sense, there's only like 10 civilized spots in Canada...and I could get to them more efficiently if I could use pure gasoline.

Considering that gas stations, hotels/motels, and civilization in general is hundreds of miles apart, it should be criminal to sell something that reduces the MPG on the Trans-Can. We found a dude with a really redneck'd dodge diesel with a huge tank of diesel in the bed, the logic behind that being that there was only one diesel gas station on a 10+ hour drive.

BTW, gas in Ontario has a 24.7 cent sales tax, PLUS 5% GST added on top of that. Seriously, where does the $$ go, cause it certainly is not to maintain the Only Road in Canada. Gas is 90-100 cents cheaper in Amerika...

Just picked up a 2000 7.3 L powerstroke diesel with a 6 speed manual. 240 miles on 8 gallons of coal. :driving:

sorry. Had to. :back2topic:

Well... being one of the people that lives within the "God-Forsaken wastelands of Canada on the ridiculously criminal Trans-Canada Highway", I must respectfully disagree with the statement that there is nothing between Ottawa and Winnepeg - that is, of course, all you want to see is the big-smoke of major centers.

Along the Trans-Canada, there are litterally hundreds of towns, villages, and cities - all of which have a charm all thier own. You won't go more than 250km's (~160mi) without hitting a service center - and those are the few long stretches.

I will support your statement that the road is ,for the most part, awful (disrepair) when compared to the toll roads I've driven in the states.... but, you get what you pay for.

Well... being one of the people that lives within the "God-Forsaken wastelands of Canada on the ridiculously criminal Trans-Canada Highway", I must respectfully disagree with the statement that there is nothing between Ottawa and Winnepeg - that is, of course, all you want to see is the big-smoke of major centers.

KL,

Tried to warn ya man!! :cheeky:

Drove the trans-can, and there was nothing.

Along the Trans-Canada, there are litterally hundreds of towns, villages, and cities - all of which have a charm all thier own.

Oh, you mean those towns that were abandoned? All those motels and gas stations that were boarded up and decrepit?

Most gas stations shut down, which is unheard of, even in "civilization" that is Sudbury. The "earliest opening" gas station in Sudbury didn't open until 7 am. Which means that we were stuck in Sudbury.

When the gas station opened, everyone there was filling up their truck and several 5-10 gallon cans of gas, and when I asked, they told me it was because they were going out to some town in the middle of nowhere and they needed all the spare gas.

Also, your road only has TWO LANES, which is a crime for the ONLY road in Canada, and multiple times the road only had ONE lane, which led to heinous delays.

The scenery was lame, I've seen better in America. Even in Maryland.

Now I know why most everyone drives through the great US & A.

There are 10 cities in Canada, I see why everyone flies. Ya'll need an auto train badly--it would only have to stop 10 times.

(Though from what I saw in Sudbury, your freight trains are NOT safe. Containers marked "Top load only" were loaded under other containers. What's up with that?

While I'm here, what is up with all the at-grade train crossings in Canada? There literally is only one road in Canada, ya'll could splurge for bridges!

Especially considering that 33% of each litre of gas' cost is TAX. 24.7 cents tax + 5% GST per litre!

No one can even afford to drive the transcan. 3.83 USD a gallon.

Here's a question--Canada taxes the hell out of everything, and I saw a lot of houses with no fields and no civilization around (no cities, no towns, no rural industries, no farming...) so how do they survive?

The prevailing theory was weed in the woods, but I'll ask a Canuck.

Latest posts