Exhaust smells like stinkbomb!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Teitell

Reaction score
Just got back from a three day trip and was driving and picked up some of my friends and they said my car smelled like a stink bomb on the outside, i was like sure it is somebodys elses car. i pulled over later a taco bell went and smelled my exhaust and it smelled awfuk, does anybody know in a matter of three days could have caused this?

Thanks

Big T

From the web... thought you might like to read :unsure:

The exhaust smells like rotten eggs. You may have also noticed that the car doesn't have the same amount of power as it once did. This type of problem seems to get worse once it develops and can lead to other serious problems, such as not starting.

Possible causes:

The engine's coolant level may be too low: Refill cooling system with proper type of coolant for your engine.

If you have a carburetor, the choke may not be set properly, or the choke may not be working correctly: Check automatic choke linkage and choke heater operation. Repair, replace or adjust as required.

The engine may have mechanical problems: Check vacuum lines and fittings for leaks. Check engine compression. Check for broken fittings and mounts.

The fuel pressure regulator may be operating at too high a pressure: Perform fuel pressure test and repair or replace faulty component(s).

The ignition timing may be set wrong: Check and adjust ignition timing.

There may be a fault in the computerized engine and emission control systems: Scan injection and emission control system for Diagnostic Trouble codes. Replace or repair as required.

The engine's thermostat may be stuck closed: Replace thermostat.

The fuel injectors may be stuck partially open: Clean or replace fuel injectors.

The odor is a result of the converter doing its job. You are smelling the extra fuel or the exta components of the fuel burning off.

Every now and then the converter is defective and does create this odor. Why,,, because it is plugged and exhaust does not flow freely. It gets plugged a few ways but the primary reason poor quality fuel.

Also, if you have a leaky injector oor defective fuel preasure regulator it can seriously affect the converter. It will literally burn itself up just doing its job..

My guess is your converter is fine and you have some questionable fuel your burning off..

I think now know what it could be, i have alwasy ran regular and last like i went up one since it was pretty cheap and went up a grade, so maybe that caused the smell.

It usually is an indication of a rich fuel mixture caused by injector, excess high temperature, etc. The higher octane should in itself not be the problem. The content of the gas may be.