Exhaust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen Smith

Reaction score
OK, I can't afford a full cat back system right now, but I might be able to afford having a replacement muffler installed.

If I replace the stock muffler with an aftermarket, will I see any improvement in mileage and or HP? Also, if I do or can go this route, which muffler? Magnaflow? I won't mind a mild sound increase, but I don't want loud at all.

Advice from you experienced folks?

You won't notice much but you will notice a sound difference. The pipes are still alittle restrictive just remember to remove the resinator to give it more sound. Magnaflow is good so is Flowmaster but some off-brand cheap muffler (Dynamax and the such) should work just as good if you are gonna leave the stock pipes. Just get a 2.25/2.25 or a 2.5 and have the shop make it fit.

Thanks.

Um.. what does 2.25/2.25 mean as opposed to just plain 2.5. I know that it is referring to inches. Is 2.25/2.25 saying 2.25 in and 2.25 out? If so, is the other 2.25 in and 2.5 out?

Thanks again.

Shoot, I wish I could just afford a full cat back. :)

yes its just the in/out dia. of the pipes. you could get a 2.25in and 2.5out muffler but it would be easier to just get a 2.25in/2.25out muffler.

Should I just start saving up for a cat back system instead of waiting. Just a different sound isn't gonna fly with my wife. :) More power and no mileage change - she'll accept that. No change at all except sound - I'll be sleeping in the guest room. ;)

Yea just save up depending on where you go it will be around $230-$320 for a full system. Prices vary from place to place just buy a muffler from ebay.com and have them bend the pipes.

Mine and your wife must be related. Take a hammer out there and punch a bunch of holes in the original and tell her you need a new muffler. Just kidding. This Fri. I am getting a Flowtech Raptor 2.25in/2.25out put on mine. The Muffler was like $20 from NAPA.;)

:)

Stonemiser, please let me know if you see any improvement whatsoever from just having that muffler installed.

I check a local shop, they said a full catback single with a Flowmaster would be around $300, and $400 for a dual setup.

I installed the Raptor a couple of weeks ago noticed a little difference not too much. a little throaty, sounds nice not too loud. took the resignator out and put the tail pipe out the back. The Raptor was $27. I like it.:D

It's really nice. Nice little rumble. The muffler is universal also you can use either end. I was confused with no directions or arrows on the muffler so I called Holly. For the money you will like it. sounds nice with the K&N.