Explorer Issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
We have a 2000 Explorer XLT with the 4.0 SOHC engine. It has the same engine as a 2001 Job 1 Trac has. It only has 197,500 miles on it.

When at idole, either in park or in drive, if you hit the gas it stumbles for a second then revs up. I checked the intake hose from the MAF to TB for cracks, but it is in perfect shape. I had a car in the past that if you did that, it would stumble and there would be a crack in the intake. This does not have any cracks.

Anyone know what I should check? As of right now, I do not have a MIL. I am not sure if I will get one or not. Hopefully I will.

Any clues? TPS, ISC, Vacuum leak?

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom my first guess would be vaccum leak. Do you have a digital vom? Check the TPS. Check for smooth operation on the ohm and vdc scale. Should not see any radical change while manualy operating the throtle, open and closing.

My 302 '88 t-bird did something simular. A new TPS fixed it.

A TPS is only about $30.00. the vehicles has close to 200,000 miles on it. Had it since 136,000 miles and has been a great vehicle.

Tom

Eddie, I had an 85 T-Bird Elan.. Wish I still had that one.. 5.0, Black over silver, custom dual exhaust... <sigh>...

But I digress... Tom, A guy I worked with had a Ranger that did exactly as you describe... He replaced the TPS and it fixed it.

She called me. The Explorer now has a MIL. It is P0171, which is the right bank lean.

The intake manifold gaskets were replaced in 2006. I am wondering if it is the DPFE sensor since it will give that MIL if it is bad too.

Tom

A faulty DPFE will NOT set a lean code and just because the gaskets were replaced 4 years ago doesn't mean that they haven't failed again. Without any scan data to go off of you are just guessing as opposed to actually troubleshgooting...I'd say see if the MAF is dirty first....fits the symptons

Actually it can. Click the link below.

The DPFE sensor is mounted on the engine, and is attached with two rubber hoses to the tube that routes exhaust gas to the EGR valve. The original equipment sensor has an rectangular aluminum housing about three inches long. Corrosion inside the sensor reduces its sensitivity to EGR flow, causing it to under-report EGR flow. The PCM responds by increasing EGR flow, which may keep the EGR valve open longer than usual creating a lean condition in the engine. Thus, a bad sensor may set a P0401 code (insufficient EGR flow), or it may not set an EGR code but a P0171 and/or P0174 lean code instead.

I really do appreciate your help.

Tom

No mention of a cracked PCV elbow? Just asking. (PO170+ Codes)

Thanks for clarifying, didn't know. :banghead: (Below)

IAC, fuel filter, MAF, TPS or fuel pressure??

Todd Z

Caymen,7/7/2010 22:16 MT

Actually it can. Click the link below.

Quote:

The DPFE sensor is mounted on the engine, and is attached with two rubber hoses to the tube that routes exhaust gas to the EGR valve. The original equipment sensor has an rectangular aluminum housing about three inches long. Corrosion inside the sensor reduces its sensitivity to EGR flow, causing it to under-report EGR flow. The PCM responds by increasing EGR flow, which may keep the EGR valve open longer than usual creating a lean condition in the engine. Thus, a bad sensor may set a P0401 code (insufficient EGR flow), or it may not set an EGR code but a P0171 and/or P0174 lean code instead.

I really do appreciate your help.

Tom

FIrst off don't believe everything you read on the disinformation net..including what follows even though it has some truth to it

I read the little blurb about the DPFE sensor causing a lean condition...it is so wrong it is laughable.

First off, yes Ford did have an issue with the alloy DPFE sensors, but they did not affect fuel trims. The metal sensors would actually cause electricial interference with the cam sensor and cause false cam sensor codes.

If you truly know how and when an egr system works all you have to do is read that article and you know it isn't accurate. If the egr system were to under report actual egr system flow then if anything the vehicle would would run rich. If the pcm was trying to increase egr flow by opening the valve further then it would also be increasing fuel to compensate for the valve being open further not taking it away, but the amount of fuel that the pcm would actually add or subtract due to the egr system while the vehicle is in motion is so small that it wouldn't set either a lean or rich code.

They make a statement in that little blurb about the valve hanging open longer because of the faulty sensor. On this particular vehicle under no circumstances whatsoever does the pcm ever hang open the valve when your foot is off of the gas. If the valve were to ever hang open it would be either because a piece of carbon physically got stuck in the valve and prevented the pintle from closing or the egr solenoid failed. In either of these cases you would have an extremely rough idle because the valve is open at idle but the dpfe sensor has nothing to do with that.

The main thing you have to remember when looking at an egr system is that in alot of ways it acts like a vacuum leak. As we all know most all vacuum leaks are only an issue at idle, this is where a vacuum leak causes most of it's problems, once you get moving down the road vacuum leak issues tend to go away...now if you have a brake booster hose disconnected or a VERY LARGE vacuum leak that is another story.

Could the butterfly valve in the throttle body be getting momentarily stuck? Do you have the same problem with the stumble when you apply the gas slowly?

Well, I took the plunge and spent $30.00 for a TPS. Vehicle is running perfect. A $30.00 fix beats the hell out of a $50.00 diagnostic charge, and then paying an idiot to fix the obvious.

hmmmmm, that is not supposed to happen

Absolutly, but a manifold gasket is MUCH cheaper than a runaway car.

Tom

l1tech,

I hope you are wrong, but if a gasket needs replaced, so be it. The part that leads me to the TPS and not an intake leak was the fact that there was a hessitation when the throttle was pressed. Even with the brake booster vacuum hose removed, I have never felt an engine fall on its face because of it. A brake booster vacuum leak is a major leak.

Of course, I prefer to R&R the repair on my own dollar than paying someopne to do it for me using inflated prices and obnoxious labor charges.

Tom

"Absolutly, but a manifold gasket is MUCH cheaper than a runaway car"

but the runaway car keeps running and running :banana: