f 150 4wd not working-looking for info

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike M 4

Reaction score
I was out this weekend with some buddies ice fishing, and the 2003 F150 4wd we were using to tow the sleds would not go into 4wd. Indicator light is on the dash, but no 4wd. Xmission went into low range but no 4WD. I tried the F150 website but couldn't find any links to similar problems. Can anyone shed some light into the problem or what to look for before the truck goes into the shop? Ive read the posts on the ST problems, but I am not sure if it is the same module, motor, relay system that engages 4wd in an F150. OBTW, we tried to back the sleds and trailer up into the parking spot with the F150, and it slipped all over the place, multiple tries and multiple failures. I hooked the trailer up to the trac and slipped it right in ,over a curb, up a snowy hill and right next to the garage. Man I love that trac......

thanks in advance,

MikeM

cold be, it was 20 below on the thermometer up in Ely Minnesota. It warmed up to 0. As a Minnesotan, that temp is where you put your hat and gloves on...Last night I got home and did some steaks on the webber, it was 10 above and perfect weather for grilling and having a couple beers on the deck....

3 perch about the size of a deck of playing cards. I caught two. We did get out on the sleds a couple of times and rode the Soudan trail from Ely to Soudan Minnesota. It is an old railroad bed that was used to remove iron ore from the Soudan mine, which has been closed for about 40 years. Beautiful country. Saw a pair of wolves just off the trail. Wow.

I had a similar problem with a 94 Ranger. It turned out to be the electric solenoid attached to the transfer case. It does the shifting in lieu of a mechanical linkage. All I did was pull the solenoid off, disassemble it and clean the brushes. It was still working fine 30,000 miles later when I traded it in. It had the same symptoms - 4x4 indicator light came on but no worky. On the Ranger I could actually hear the relays switching as well.