F&#!* Brakes!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Piroth

Reaction score
Last February (tragically, a month after my initial warranty ran out) I started having issues with the front disk brakes on my '01 ST. (Built in May of '01, bought by me in Jan. of '02)

After having the pads replaced with ceramic ones and the rotors replaced due to wear, I was fine for a week or so. Over the following week, I started having problems again. A couple of return trips to the shop found that one of the calipers was sticking due to a deformed piston in the caliper. Both calipers were replaced. The shop charged me no labor on the second trip, since it was something they should have found the first time, but all-in-all I ended up being out about $600. (Two calipers, pads, rotors, shop supplies, etc.)

Now, I'm having issues again. I've noticed increased brake dust on the right front rim over recent weeks, and a "pulsing" in the feel of the brakes as I apply steady pressure. Today, it got worse, as I felt something like grinding or hard rubbing on the way to lunch. It didn't happen again on the trip back to the office, but I know I'm not imagining it.

My question is this: Am I going to continue to have front brake issues with the ST? Is it something in the design? Any ideas on what the current problem might be?

Last edited by a moderator:
OEM brake pads went south at 14k miles, then the rotors at 28k miles.

Replaced rotors and used Bendix SUV pads... it's 45k miles and still some 50% left on the pads...

What issues, specifically? Just the pulsing?

Pulsing could be the "bedding" (do an Internet search for "brake bedding") of the pads to the rotors or it could be the drums. It was the drums on mine; it's worth a check.

Like Yardsale said. The Drums could be out of round. I had mine turned 2x and I finally replaced them. Tom has the best fix!

Thanks for the info, and for the offer Tom. If you ever decide to move to Tallahassee, let me know.

I've got the Trac in the shop now, so I'll let you know what the problem turns out to be.

Latest posts