factory head unit wire to amp?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick F 2

Reaction score
Is it possible to hook an amplifier and subs to the factory cd player?

If so could you give me a description? thanks a lot

Nick

Fissel, I ran my amp wire from an accessory tap in my fuse panel under the drivers side kick panel..

Then i ran the wire to my console and installed a flush mounted switch, this way when I am in the truck and I don't want the amp on i can simply turn them off and still listen to the radio.

Works great

Todd Z

you need to buy a line out converter for the factory head unit....costs about 30 bucks...turns your factory hu from line out to rca outs for an external amp...i had mine that i woulda sent to u for free up till next cept i just gave it to my friend for his s40....sorry, and i hope it works out good for ya, what kinda amp sub r u goin for?

thanks

andy

well I have 2 900 watt 12's and a 1600 watt amp. not sure if they will fit under the back seats yet, but going to attempt. May have to buy smaller. Thanks for your help guys, very appreciated

nick

Hey Andy, there's a Danny Szkutak here in Auburn, went to Opelika High School with my brother. Any relations? He was the Tough Man champion for several years (several years ago) befor it turned into a boxing match, before talent became a factor. He also played line backer at Auburn. He was/ is wild.

heyyy, i dont know my dads name is Gene Szkutak, whats Danny's father's name? There's prolly a relation, since i dont know many Szkutak branches lol

Hey Fissel,

Yes, it's actually Very simple..... :)

I hooked up my Alpine V6(? I think!!) to my deck, I'm running one 10" and one 8" under my rear seats. Sounds great. I like the sleep look of the factory too.

Rather than using the RCA outs, most amps have an attachment, I can't remember what it's called, its a little square plug (I can't remember for the life of me what it is called....but this is what you use when you aren't using RCA's) in on the amp, the male attachment just has a L + - and R + - wires...so 4 wires in all, you plug that into the amp, and wire the L + / - to your Left side front or rear speaker, likewise with the right side. I did all of this right from the back of the Headunit, I found diagrams online of the Ford Factory Stereo Wiring for the Sport Trac, next, power your amp to the battery, and ground wire from amp to ground on truck, then use your remote wire to attach to the power unit on the stereo...that way the amp goes on/off with the stereo power. I think that was everything I did. I've done this before on my Cavalier, so this only took me an hour to do. It's very simple, just use your due diligence and do a lot of online research, its all online.

So to answer your question...YES. It's Simple to do, and costs nothing except for the wires involved. You don't have to buy any special attachments. email me if you have more questions, I'll see if I have any of my papers laying around anywhere, so I can give u a bit better direction.

If your Amp DOESN"T have the plug-in that I'm talking about, then the only other way to do it is how Andy said a few posts above. Next time I'm in my truck, I'll check what its called.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scoshe makes a little adapter that works with speaker level output to convert to to line level output. Most car audio stores would have or could get it for you. If not, I am sure Radio Shack has something similar.

Most amps will only accept line leve (rca) cables. Some amps do have this built in though, if you see a set of terminals with 4 posts marked "speaker in" or similar, you are good to go.

Good luck!

Latest posts