faded oxidized fiberglass boat

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike M 4

Reaction score
Im selling off my sailboat, because I dont use it anymore. Its pretty oxidized, faded and I would like to bring back some of the color. Any suggestions short of repainting? Its a 14 .5, so not very big. I have read about wet sanding, using rubbing compound and some liquid treatments. Does anyone have any experience or expertise for me.

Thanks in advance

Mike

There are a good many items that work fairly well. Pick up an Obvertons catalog or Boat US (Also both have web sites) and search there.

The wet sand and rubbing compound works well and is pretty long term.

Some good ol elbow grease, but it does a good job..

Before you wet sand and use rubbing compound try a acidic toliet bowl cleaner. I use ZEP. It will remove any discoloring. After that you may be able to just wax the finish. Use rubber gloves and apply it full strength. Leave it on about 15 min and wash it off with water. Use a second coat if needed. It will remove all yellowing and most stains.

I had the same problem with the fiberglass hood, fender flares, mirrrors and tonneau on my F150- totally oxidized. My usual wash/detail guy tried polishing compound and it failed, he said I would need to repaint, as did the body shop. In desperation, I bought a bottle of Meguiars #67 compound/polish at Boater's world and did it myself. I used an orbital buffer w/ a wool bonnet and slowly worked over each area about 4 times, stopping to reapply compound each time. I used 2 bottles of #67 and about 6 hours, but it now looks new again.:cool:

Catalina Capri, 14.5. Shorelander trailer. Been sittiing under the deck for the last few years, we just dont use it any more.

Does it look like this??

http://capefearsailingacademy.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/JY15RunStern.14482006_std.jpg

Where are you located? How much were you thinking of asking for the boat and trailer? I frequent a sailing forum and might be able to point some folks your way.

Here's what I sail - a 14' Hobie Holder

[Broken External Image]:

Trulight,

Its an 85 14.2 catalina capri, similar to what you have. Has a shorelander trailer in good shape. The hull has some dings and is oxidized below where the tarp was covering the boat, Ive had the thing for about 10 years, and haven't used it for the last 3 or 4. Kids getting too big and too busy with baseball, concerts etc. I live north of Minneapolis. 1200 obo. Oh, I have a trolling motor that goes with it as well. Makes it easier to get in and out of the access areas here in minnesota. I have actually sailed the thing on Lake Superior too.

Mike

Nice boat, truelight. I like the day sailers for small lakes and leisurely rides without a lot of hassle. Hobie makes a good, sturdy boat. Made by sailors, by sailors. Nice size jib and main. It should scoot along pretty good.

I campaigned a Prindle 16 Catamaran for about 10 years. I like the speed the catamaran class yields and the regattas were VERY competitive. When I hit 50 years old and bought my own business, I gave it up. I wouldn't mind having a day sailer now. I have 3 good lakes within 30 minutes of my home and could go out for a spin without investing a whole day. How long does it take you to get out of your truck, rig it and get in the water? A lot faster than I could rig my catamaran, I'm sure.

Mike, as far as making your boat look good, I would suggest getting a product called FSR (fiberglass stain remover). Wipe it on and wash it off. Cleans the gelcoat down to the original color.

Policoat, mentioned above and link provided, is a very good product and is what I would probably use since yours has been sitting idle for so long. I've used it with good results, and compared to a gelcoat refinish, it's pretty cheap.

If I was closer to you, I would buy it in a hearbeat.