Fail to start, Fuel pump? Fuel filter?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Hedin

Reaction score
Two weeks ago my 2003 ST failed to start after I did a 15 mile drive to a Lowes.

I bought a can of starting fluid and it would run off of the spray only. So it was a no fuel situation. After an hour or so of sitting, the truck magically started again.

Pulling codes with the ODB reader revealed no faults.

This past saturday it happened again. Only this time the vehicle had to sit overnight before it would restart. The next day I replaced the fuel filter.

I am told that a clogged fuel filter can force a fuel pump towards premature failure.

The ST has 50k miles. I suspect that I should have changed the filter sooner.

My question is: Am I in the clear with just a fuel filter change or am I headed towards an exspensive fuel pump replacement.

Also am I chasing the wrong thing here, like maybe I should change the fuel pump relay?

Any help appreciated.

Next "no start" condition just listen carefully and see if you hear the fuel pump hum, probably not. I'd install a new fuel filter. You'll want one anyway if you have to put a new pump in. Swap a relay with an adjoining one to begin with and see if that has any effect. A good solid whack in the area of the pump will sometimes jar the pump back into operation. If that works it'll probably get you home but a pump is in your near future. A bad pump won't give you many warnings before it puts the vehicle on a hook!

sounds to me as if the pump maybe over heating. The cloged filter can be causing part of it. How many miles on the filter since last change? To much back pressure. The pump cools itself by the fuel it move through it. I believe the '03 is the return type of fuel regulation. How many miles on the pump? Also if you have a habit of running the fuel tank low most of the time, That can shorten a pump life. The pump electric motor and gears cools and lubes itself by the volume of fuel it moves and being submerged in enough fuel. Also the pump can just wear out from high millage. But the pump having to work hard against a cloged filter and constantly keeping the tank low. Can shorten the life of most intank pumps. The fuel is the coolant and the lubricant.

There is a possibility that it might be the fuel cut-off switch tripping. Several years ago I had a T-bird that the switch would trip for no apparent reason. After waiting awhile the engine would magically start. I soon learned about the fuel cut-off switch and whenever it would happen I would reset it and the engine would immediately start.

Just one thing to consider.

Good luck,

Jerry

Good point Jerry. Defifntly easir to troubleshoot. I was bring my experiance of heat and cooldown from the '88 5.0L T-bird I built up. My pump was locking up from heat.

Steve - If it happens again then my fuel filter replacement did not resolve the issue and my question will have been answered

So to re-phrase my question, Anybody out there who has experienced the no start problem and resolved it with just the new fuel filter or did you have to eventually replace the pump as well?

Fast Eddie - This is the first fuel filter replacement at 50k miles, as I indicated in my original post. I typically do not run the tank very low.

Jerry - I will check the inertial switch next time this occurs. Where is the reset?

I am going to cut open the old fuel filter and see what kind of crap is in it.

IF you like.... LOL.....

Look in the top left corner of the Pic... This is under the dash passenger side...

BUT the switch does NOT reset it self... you have to manually do it...

[Broken External Image]:

The only way to make 100% sure is to have a fuel pressure gauge installed when the truck won't fire, but from what you are describing it sounds as if your fuel pump is on the way out.

I seriously doubt that the fuel filter is contributing to your problem. In order for a clogged filter to contribute to a no start you would, without a doubt, experience a driveability problem.

Just a thought, but when this happens, turn the key on and look for the "theft" light. It should go out after a few seconds. If this does not happen, then you have a security issue and the truck will turn over, but never start. This happened to a friends car and we thought it was the fuel pump to begin with.

Before I opened the fuel filter I blew through it. It seemed very restrictive.

Unfortunately I did not do the same with the new filter before I installed it.

I then cut open the old filter. I did not see anything out of the ordinary.

If this issue occurs again I will make sure to check the anti theft light and the inertial switch

Thanks to all who responded.

Just an update...

Filter was replaced and I have not had any "no start" problems for 2 1/2 weeks.

This includes a 240mi trip.

I am optimistic that the fuel filter alone was the culprit. A fuel pump replacement at 50k just does not sound reasonable to me.

Should i encounter any more instances of this problem i will update this thread. I think the difference between a $19 fuel filter vs. an exspensive fuel pump replacement might be of interest to others.

It ran fine all summer. Then, another "failed to start" event happened last thursday.

It sat overnight then started the next morning.

Dang...

Guess I'm getting closer to the pump replacement.

I still think this is premature at 55K miles. It has to be the ethanol they are putting in the gas that is killing these things early. I know too many Ford owners that recently had to replace thier fuel pumps. All different models (Excursion, F-150, Sport trac) with all different mileages, all needing a fuel pump in the last year.

Would also like to meet the individual who thought putting the pump in the tank was a great idea. Early Bosch efi systems had the pump external to the tank and they ran reliably for a long time.

Dean

Not uncommon for these pumps to fail at 55k miles. They are getting alot better though. Ford is actually pretty decent as far as pumps are concerned..now GM on the other hand is a different story.