feeling ripped off

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyndon main

Reaction score
how many gen 2 owners have crossrails on there roof racks? when i purchased my vehicle all the flyers and adds showed crossrails. when it arrived ford deleted the crossrails and issued a credit of $ 150.00 which i never received. did not renegotiate the contract. now when i contact the dealer they want $ 250.00 for these crossrails. i feel like i have been ripped off. am i correct feeling this way?

I would not have accepted the vehicle since it did not come the way I ordered it......

I guess the dealer is not willing to work with you on them ???

Try the Ford customer service number, But that may be like a turtle and an army helmet...

Todd Z

I think that the cross rails were optional in 2007, and then became standard equipment in '08 or '09.

Roof rails are an option, they are not standard equipment. Contact Torrie as Fast Parts Network and see what they cost from him.

when it arrived ford deleted the crossrails and issued a credit of $ 150.00 which i never received.

I'm a little confused. Did you state that you wanted the cross rails and they took it upon themselves to assume you'd be okay with a $150 credit instead of them?

Or did you assume from the pictures in brochures that they would come with the truck from the factory?

It is my understanding that this equipment is an additional add-on, as it has been since the Sport Trac's inception. That being said, I don't know much about the Gen 2 packages and what comes standard with the various packages.

It seems to me that if you got the idea the truck would come with the cross rails because you saw them in pics, you have been misled through Ford's advertising. I find that most of the trucks and cars in their ads are the highest package available with some additional accessories that they suggest you add to your vehicle. They dont explicitly state that things like step bars or window vents are not included in the package you see in the picture and then you get a rude awakening when your car or truck is delivered.

Live and learn I guess (if that is the case).

Last edited by a moderator:
lyndon,

Regardless everything else said by you and others here, IF the dealer said they were crediting you $150, and you were never given that credit, then, YES, IMHO, you have been "ripped off."

TJR

On my '08, the roof crossbars were an option. I did not want them because on the Limited model they would have been silver in color. So I ordered black ones for an XLT model and installed them myself. Cost was over a hundred dollars if I recall. I do remember that item on the "build sheet" when I picked all the stuff I wanted and my Trac was delivered exactly as I ordered it. The only rip-off is dealing with the Ford dealer when it comes to some parts. They can be had for significantly less through Fast Parts Network. Bob ;)

It seems to me that if you got the idea the truck would come with the cross rails because you saw them in pics, you have been misled through Ford's advertising.

Most advertising pictures for vehicles have very small caption at the bottom that reads:

*Sport Trac Limited shown with optional equipment

That's their legal disclaimer stating that what's in the picture may not be exactly like what you have on your truck. With that statement, it's not misleading, nor a "rude awakening" upon delivery. It's up to the customer/consumer to know what they're getting before signing any paperwork committing them to the purchase. Including getting any "credits" in writing.

Did you get this "$150 credit" for cross bars in writing? What does your window sticker and/or build sheet say with regard to the cross bars? If they're on the window sticker, then I'd question why the dealer removed them and make them replace them.

Wait. I just looked at your profile. It says that you have a 2007 Sport Trac. So why haven't you brought this issue up and attempted to resolve it until now?:huh: Your Trac is now three years old, so I'd say that you're pretty much SOL, and if you want cross rails, you're going to just have to buy them yourself. Check with site sponsor Torrie.

well lets get something straight, the model i have is a 2007 xlt limited v8 engine leather interior fully loaded except nav system. it was to come with the crossbars but they where deleted for some reason. my mistake i guess is not renegotiating the deal to get my $150 credit. just thought ford or the dealer would have some compassion and help me out. i was wrong, after 40 thousand they want $250 more. i just dont feel that is right. why put a roof rack with the slot for crossbars and delete the bars.

OMG - how stupid......ya shoulda read the contract and handled it when delivered.....and now you want to whine about it here. My lord how dumb. Go buy the damn rails and be done with it. You made a stupid mistake, admit it, and stop blaming Ford or the dealer. Jees, noone wants to accept responsibility for their own mistakes these days. Get over it. Damn. Never should have accepted delivery unless the vehicle was delivered as ordered. Period.

my mistake i guess is not renegotiating the deal to get my $150 credit. just thought ford or the dealer would have some compassion and help me out.

Not trying to sound callus, but this was a business transaction. Compassion doesn't factor into the equation. At the start of this thread, you asked:

i feel like i have been ripped off. am i correct feeling this way?

Based on what you've stated, I don't think you're correct to feel ripped off. If your Trac was supposed to come with the cross bars, then you should've resolved the issue prior to signing the paperwork and taking possession. Buyer beware.

I'm still wondering why you're bringing this up several years after the fact?:huh:

did you buy the vehicle new?

if so, did the sticker have them listed?

the 07 in any model, did not come with crossbars standard.

My 09 has the cross rails. In fact I just took them off yesterday since winter will be here soon and they are inconvenient when brushing snow off the roof. I had not really thought too much about them. I really doubt that I will ever use them since I would never carry anything on the roof of my Trac. I use a utility trailer to carry anything might damage or dirty my Trac. I just repainted my utility trailer to match the Trac and put retro Ford logos and Sport Trac decals on it. I even painted the inside and top rails with Rhino Liner.

My friends say I am anal about the Trac but I prefer to think of myself as "kind" to it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts