Fiberglass question?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
OK, I took my hand at a big (big to me any way) Fiberglassing job today.. I had to patch my Topper to fit my truck since I cut it to clear the cab spoiler..

I have 2 layers of the fiberglass matt ( the hairy looking stuff) and then I sanded that and then did two layers of the nylon matt. Do you think this is enough to sand and then bondo over and paint??

I think I am good to go, But not sure. I kept the structural integrity of the cap by leaving the corners, this was kind of a filler..

Here is a pic.

Thanks for your help !!

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would do about 7 layers. The remainder can be all fiberglass matting. You'll be sanding some of that away. Better safe than well you know.

I went and sanded and put on 1 more layer of the matt, I think that is strong enough, IT feels stronger than the rest of the cap... LOL......

Time to bondo, Don't know about painting before lville, maybe just some cans of spray...

Todd Z

Todd,

Since it is not a high stress area, you probably won't have any problems. If you were hauling stuff on top of the cover, I wouls say, add a few more layers.

...Rich