Filled up yesterday, 475 miles on 23.5 gallons, 20.21mpg...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Hampton

Reaction score
and that was my hybid, in town/highway drive to and from work, 22 miles each way. Little bit of A/C, some stomping to pass someone, but mostly granny driving and staying at or just below the speed limit. 126k on it, 2wd with towing pkg (4.10) and the new Michelin LTX2 275 tires. No mods other than my Astro shell.

:banana::banana::banana:

Damn- that's pretty good. I've been averaging 17mpg with my '10 V6 ST in DC traffic 48 miles one way. I cruise control whenever possible. My dearly departed '07 V8 ST was averaging 14-15mpg.

Well, I just returned home from my trip to Ohio, back to Okla. I said in an earlier post that I have a 09 Adrenalin V8. On the way to Ohio, my milage continued to increase to a max of 24.5 MPG and leveled off to 22.4MPG. On the return trip today, I at first increased to a max of 25.7MPG across Ohio and into Indiana. But I then continued to loose MPG all the way to a final of 21.1 MPG. I used a couple of different brands of fuel, and the best milage was from a Sunoco station. I also used Phillips, and Shell. They all were the Regular 87 oct. I plan to make another trip to Ohio sometime in June, and will retune to the 87 Performance tune from Torrie on my SCT and see what that produces.:driving:

About 4-5 years ago I drove from central Texas to eastern Ohio and got 22.5 MPG on my 2003 2WD Sport Trac. I did not calculate the MPG for each fillup, but only at the end of the trip. When I would pass about 400 miles on each tank of gas, I would start looking for a gas station. The furthest I went on a tank was 440 miles, but I had never actually reached empty yet and I could have gone another 30-40 miles before I would have to worry about running out of gas.

I don't like to check fuel mileage with each tank because there are so many other factors that effect fuel mileage that you cannot contol. The major one is traffic. I have found that a little bit of taffic that causes you to slow down then speed up just a few times can really cut into your fuel mileage.

Also, you may be climbing 400-500 feet in elevation over a distance of hundreds of miles which means you are encountering a lot more up hill drives than down hill coasts That can really eat at your gas mileage and you may not even notice the gradual climb but it does require the engine to work a little harder. And in a heavy truck anything that makes the engine work harder will really show up in your gas mileage.

...Rich

Sadly hills do eat away at my MPGs. Any real roadtrip from MD involves mountains, and the Appalachians are killer to MPG. Trying to be in the "2500 club" on them will get you pushed up the mountain by even the slow-chugging trucks in the special slow hill climbing lanes.

Though in the midwest, MPG is awesome. Prior to the 2500 club, I got 25 mpg out there by riding behind a truck for hours on I-70.

It's not like there's any scenery to miss....Ohio, for instance, says there's so much to discover, but it's so flat that you can see it all with just a glance :grin:

People from the tropics don't know what snow is....people from Indiana don't know what a hill is.

I find that cruise control hurts my mpg, because it will really put the hammer down to accelerate on hills, jumping up to 3500 regularly--not very smoothly either. Foot control is the way--an advantage of the 2 footed system IMO (one of many, and not to get into another discussion like that one time) Also, it always seems to rain on my road trips, which means I can't Cruise anyhow :(

Latest posts