Finally did it

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
We've been looking for a while now and we finally bought an ATV. :banana::banana:

2008 - (brand new - ZERO miles) Can-Am Outlander 400 4WD. Deal we couldn't refuse - $1,600 off because of rebates and haggling, with a manufacturer two year bumper-to-bumper warranty (not extended). Paid $4,700.

There's no place to ride around here but we go with friends just north of Lake Okeechobee in central Florida. We're going there in a few weeks.

Fits like a glove in the back of my ST - the front wheels squeeze right between the wheel wells - almost have to grease it up to fit. The back wheels sit in about 6" from the end of the tailgate - which leads me to a question:

1/2 the weight is on the tail gate (total ATV weight is 620lbs) and according to the specs. Regarding weight distribution, it's 49% front and 51% rear. So I'm looking at 320 pounds on the tailgate. Additionally, the corners of the plastic tailgate are curving up from the weight of the wheels. I was wondering if I should make some kind of plywood sub-floor to help distribute the weight a little.

It seemed OK when I drove it home but I'm wondering about a long trip.

Any thoughts?

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if I should make some kind of plywood sub-floor to help distribute the weight a little.

That's exactly what I would do. Just cut a piece of plywood as long as the bed with the tailgate open. At the very least you are taking the stress off the inside plactic tailgate cover.

thats not a bad price i paid more for my 06 arctic cat 400 when it was new in 06

It's been on the showroom floor for 2 plus years so they really wanted to get rid of it. The rebate was $1,000 from the mfgr and they took another 600 off because my wife was kicking their @$$ with negotiations. PLUS, after we negotiated to $4,700, she said she didn't want the one on the floor - so they looked and found one in a warehouse - exactly the same with 0 miles! She rocks!

Of course, when she heard that the mfgr was giving a 2 year mfgr warranty, she knew we were getting it - just beat them up until we got what we wanted.

$1,600 off the $6,300 MSRP - that's 25% off!

Was a no brainer for us.

Going on our first ride in a few weeks. There's no place to ride where we live.

Wish I could - career is here. Besides, I CAN pull it out of my garage and ride it here (on the street) - just that the neighbors wouldn't like it!

Latest posts