first time oil change, suggestions?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddy GreeneII

Reaction score
Ok kind of lame but Ive never done this before. Have the idea to drive up on a 2x6 to lean the truck to the right but that's about it. How tight is right on the drain plug and I forgot the filter rule, is it all the way tight with the wrench, then 1/2 turn back-hand tight? Sorry for the dumb questions. Any tips and help are as usual, very much appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals. Oh, and new Pics in the library.....

Ted

I pop my ST up on the curb to change my oil, or if I'm feeling fancy, a small stack of 2x6's, like you said. I really don't know how to say how tight to make it, just don't over tighten it. I tighten my filters completely by hand, until it's hand tight. I've not had any problems yet.

I take mine to Ford for the oil changes, although I can change my own oil. I just want the record documented on their puter. "just in case" :)

Great Pics too! I like Betsy's tool storage set up too, great color for that ! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure and put a thin film of oil on the new filter's gasket before installing. The ST takes exactly 5.0 US Quarts of any brand of 5W-30 oil. Don't overfill it.

If you want to search for this topic, you find literally hundreds of pages of discussion of which oil and filter to use. Enjoy the read.

Snug on the plug, don't over-tighten, as you risk stripping the threads. Do not use a wrench to tighten the filter, hand tight only. 1/4 - 1/2 turn after contact between seal and block. Remember to spread a drop of oil on the new filter seal. Recheck later for leaks and tighten as needed.

Rodger, goin purple baby. That looks great, saw the write up on it, nipple, no nipple? dont see the difference anywhere, and is two wraps with teflon tape good as mentioned?

Also, make sure the O-Ring, (seal) from the filter you take off comes with the filter and does not stay on the seating surface of the engine. It will leak like a son of a gun if you miss it....

I agree with the fumo valve if your planning on changing your oil yourself. Makes it so much easier.

Wait a minute...

Something just occurred to me, Teddy. You've made all these performance modifications to your Trac, and you haven't even done your first break-in oil change?:huh:

I know you were excited about your new ST, and couldn't wait to begin the mods and all, but I would've at least ran the engine through the break-in period prior to modifying. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, but that's just me.

I'm bringing back an older post, I was searching for the answer to my question. I did my first oil change today. I was confronted with an o-ring on the drain plug with a small chip out of it. With the oil drained out of the ST, I rode my motorcycle to the usual places that are open on a Sunday that may have o-rings. I didn't find one that matched the one I had, even though the one I had was a bit mashed. I returned home, used the old o-ring, I am hoping that it holds and I won't have change oil again for a new o-ring. My question is; what size o-ring is it for a 03 ST?

As others have said, "snug on the plug" and hand tighten the filter. Don't be too generous on oiling the new filter gasket...it will leak. A nice thin coat will do. Oh yeah, I think it's recommended to have a third of the new filter filled with oil. Okay, one last thing, when it's the filter's turn to come off, don't dilly-dally on the last few turns. Get it off as quickly as you can to minimize the spewing of oil.

Latest posts