Flare fixed.........itself?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy G

Reaction score
Got a 2001 Job 1 4x4...

Tranny started to flare real bad not long ago. It would flare between 2-3, and also if it went to downshift into 2nd, it would miss. Everytime..

I bumped up the EPC pressure and it did make it shift a bit quicker...but the flare was still there, and it would still miss downshifts.

Got up Friday morning, had to take it to work becuase I had to haul some stuff to a storage unit (moving......another story) and the flare was gone. Completely. You would have thought it was a new tranny. It even makes it's downshifts properly. I have put almost 300 miles on it since the flare stopped, and it seems to be fine.

Any thoughts?

Part of me says "leave it alone", another part of me is saying "take it in anyways".

Maybe I'm just livin' right!!!!

Was there a change in temperature? My '01 will flare when it's cold out on first drive and won't do it when it's warm.:unsure:

Mine was opposite.

Flared worse when hot. Temps around here have been in the 880s and 90s, no real change in the past few days......

Operation with increased EPC pressure cleared something in the throttle body? I dunno, I'm really guessing here...

I upped mine not too long ago and the tranny has felt very good especially with a XCal tune. I have to drop the pan again because I have slow leaks through some of the bolts (even after further tightening). I'm gonna use blue lock-tite this time and torque-spec the bolts (10 ft-lbs). Oh and I'm gonna change the filter in there as well. I may do change the fuel filter too but that's another story.

Glad your problem has gone Andy, hope it stays gone. Did you use a new gasket?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I changed out tranny filter and went to synthetic fluid,My tranny had the same thing, after driving it a while it cleared out and shifted better.Maybe yours just had to learn the new settings. Ron

FlipTrac, I did not use a new gasket. Mine was still in pretty good shape, so I didn't bother. No leaks yet....keeping my fingers crossed.

I am kinda wondering if something was stuck and finally cleared out of a valve body as well, but I really dunno.

I think I am going to drop the pan and do another oil/filter service, even though it has only been perhaps 1500 miles since the last. I just keep thinking that whatever was stuck in the valve body (if in fact the case) is now sitting in the filter.......maybe even rip the filter apart to see if there is anything interesting in it......

Blackhat, mine started flaring before I had done anything. My tranny had about 8K miles on it's last service when this started. Dunno.........kinda wierd. I thought for sure I was going to be pumping $$$ into it very soon.....

Now it seems perfect...........

cheers,

Andy,

Maybe you just needed that good night sleep Thursday night...?? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, most problems don't go away by themselves., but it would be nice if they did.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator: