Flashing O/D Off Light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P Kru

Reaction score
My O/D Off light was flashing today on the way to lunch. After lunch it was back to normal. Is this just a glitch or a sign of things to come?

Service tech told me that even though the o/d light goes off when engine is shut off, the code is still in the computer. Get it read ASAP.

known as the blinking overdrive light of death....

Drive it to the dealer, do not pass go, do not stop for pizza, do not collect $200.00.....

Todd Z

It means don't wait until tomorrow or next week. The light came on for a reason and experience indicates that it will only get worse. What might be a sticky solenoid now [$500] will evolve into a complete rebuild rather quickly. [$1500 or more].

seeing that your truck is a 01 I think it is not warranted any more correct ???

You can try your trusted mechanic, but most of the 01 tranny problems are a blown or bad valve body gasket and there is a new replacement kit for it. Also it could be the solenoids in the tranny going bad...

I don't think most mechanics that don't do tranny's every day will know the proper diagnostics or repair procedure for it.....

Todd Z

Like they said, maybe $550 now, or wait and it could be $2300 for a rebuilt tranny, as was the case for me when I had the 'Blinking O/D light of death'. I'd get it into Ford NOW and have them run a diagnostic check.

Anybody's guess at this point. Have to find out what the problem is. Only a diagnostic test can tell you that and a dealer is best equiped to do that. Any tranny problem is going to cost some bucks.

Is it worth it to go to Autozone to get the code read? How many miles can I drive before it falls apart?

I had this happen about almost 30K miles ago and mine is still fine. Happened once and hasnt happened since. Mine happened when I was speeding off an exit ramp (onto I-95) mine might of been luck that it is going stong still so please get it checked. Had my scangauge and it showed no codes in the system.

I would take it to a tranny shop and read it there is a place in town that will check mine out for free. I just havent made my way over to have them check it out.

Latest posts