Flashing OD light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brant 1

Reaction score
Good Afternoon all,

This isn't a trac question but there is definatly some experts on here that I am hoping can help.

My roomate has a 2004 F150 Lariet and while using it today to move a load of dirt the transmission started acting up. Since he bought it used it has always had problems going into reverse, it takes about 3 or 4 seconds and then there is a clunk when it finally going in. Today I had about a half - load of dirt in the back of the truck and went to a local gravel pit to unload. While positioning the truck it did not want to go anywhere when shifted into first, so i thought there was to much weight or a little mud. I shifted into 4-low to give it some pulling power and it still would not move. When i unloaded and went to pull away the truck seem to act like it was still in 2-high, namely it didn't have any pulling power and the torque converter has slipping badly. I got out of the gravel pit and back onto the road and noticed that the o/d light on the dash was flashing and the trip computor display said transmission malfunction. I got it home and right away checked the tranny fluid, it was kind of a foggy pink and smelled really burnt.

My roomate is currently away in Africa and I would like to get a good idea of what is going on before I trouble him with this. My thoughts are that the fluid is fried, and has been since he bought it and the extra load of the dirt and the hot day just burnt things up.

Any help that you can give me would be greatly appriciated as the local ford dealership isn't open till tomorrow.:(:blink:

Thanks in advance.

Brant

I went through the flashing O/D light on my 2004 Sport Trac. It was a shift module went out in the tranny. $750 to fix. Yours maybe something diffrent.

Thanks for the input.

Of course the local ford service tech. is away for today so again I have to wait a day.

Any other thoughts that i could take to the tech?

Brant

Latest posts