Flowmaster 40 series Muffler

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woppy V

Reaction score
I had my Flowmaster 40 Series muffler removed and a Flowmaster 50 Series SUV put in it's place. I drove with this muffler for about 7 months but decided that it is to loud for me....

The muffler is a 2.5inch (offset) single in/ 2.5inch (center) single out.

$15 + Shipping.

Will post a picture later.

Woppy

I am interested in your opinion of the 50 SUV muffler re. sound, performance, etc. Someone recommended that I put the same unit on mine. THANKS for any input.

Eltee what kind of exhaust modifications have you made so far? I recorded what my exhaust sounded like with the 40 Series and when I get around to it I will record the 50 SUV Series to aid people in comparing.

But just a quick synopsis for you:

I have a Intake system, Y-pipe, Hiflo Cat, Removed the Resonator, and have 2.5 pipe throughout. With the 40 Series you could hear my Trac coming from a long distance away... you could here it start up and idle while inside your home... but most importantly to me you could hear it resonate inside the cab at a rather high decible. The interior noise was very intense and I personally liked it for the first couple months but after awhile it wore on me. If I didn't spend hours driving from property to property I think I might have kept it...

However, now that I have the 50 SUV Series I am never looking back! It created a lower and more mellow sound that is very pleasant while idling. Outside the vechile you can hear it almost as well as you could hear the 40 series but its not longer noticeable through the walls of homes. Most importantly the interior noise is much much deluted. Instead of having a painful rattle it has become a smoother constant tone.

Both can be heard when digging in the gas pedal. But the SUV is more pleasant and not nerve racking like the 40 series. Also at cruising speed the SUV is sometimes non existant.

Simplfied...

40 Series: Loud as h*ll and screams going down the road!

50 SUV Series: Upper side of Mellow and furocious when desired.

Hope that helps!

haha Sooooo.......... does anyone wanta buy the ole 40 Series? :)

Thanks Woppy V. I've done no other mods to my exhaust. I modified my intake, have a Xcal2 that has not been programmed for my Trac yet but no other mods on my engine as I am still under warranty. I read good things about the SUV50 so hearing your first hand report was what I needed to proceed. I'm going to simply replace the muffler first, then maybe the resonator later. What was your opinion on the decibel increase from removal of the resonator, or did you do the exhaust all at once? Thanks again, your info is appreciated.

I found the SUV 50 to be not loud enough and so I switched to a FM40. I have Volant intake but stock pipes. Now the tone is just where I want it. Again, with stock pipes, the SUV 50 seemed almost stock after a while.

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to jump on the thread. I didn't realize it was on 'swap n sell'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woppy, Sintec,,It will fit on the 2.25 pipes. You can buy swaged nipples and clamp it in. Or you can let a muffler shop swage it and weld it. I would go for the welding. $15 + shiping is an excelent price. Most shops around me charge $10 per weld.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most shops around me charge $10 per weld

Thats a good price, the last weld I needed was over 200 feet long !!!.... LOL:lol::lol:

Todd Z

Blake I sent you another email. Please respond as soon as possible if I do not receive a response by sunday I have another buyer localy who would like it. Thanks!

Latest posts