fluids...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ray moyer

Reaction score
hey guys...

im just hitting 32k miles on my 05 and was gonna flush out the motor. would this be a prime time to go ahead and do the tranny and differential???

well i use mobil 1 synthetic lol

same stuff... just mine aint purple lol

but i do use royal purple antifreeze additive ;)

anyone know what weight oil goes in the diff???

If you only have 32k miles and have been using Mobil 1, the motor won't need to be flushed (assuming you've changed the oil regularly). I'd recommend changing the antifreeze every three years regardless of mileage though.

The diffs get 75w-90 in the front and 75w-140 in the rear.

If you have a 4wd, the front diff is basically impossible to do without a suction machine. I just take mine to the Valvoline Qwicky-Lube.

yea... i used mobil full synthetic and still change every 3k miles or so...

and thanks! and if thats the case... ill change the radiator fluid aswell.

how much fluid actually goes into the diff??? forgot to ask that....

Last edited by a moderator:
yea... i used mobil full synthetic and still change every 3k miles or so...

Guaranteed if you opened up the motor it will look brand new inside. I wouldn't worry about it.

Most Ford automatics call for a fluid flush ever 30k.

lol so shouldnt i flush it out then??? im at 32k?

to flush it... just use like seafoam or motor flush additive...

just figured it was time to completely change out all the fluids...

Rear diff, about 2.5 quarts. Get the tranny flushed, it takes Mercon V fluid. I'd recommend a dealer for that.

lol so shouldnt i flush it out then??? im at 32k?

The engine does not need any sort of flush if you've been changing Mobil 1 every 3000, that's really about twice as often as you need to. Send me your old oil and I'll run it for another 5000 in mine.:lol:

Coolant is easy to do yourself.

lol hahaha

i just like to make sure everything to work perfect haha

and stays clean, i even run seafoam b4 oil changes lol just incase there is a slight build up of anything...

Reaper, if you are using full syn. oil, you do not need to change the oil out every 3K miles. Seriously, you are just throwing money away. With syn. blends you can go at least 5K between changes. I would do every at least every 5K. But it's up to you. If you were using regular oil, the flushes MIGHT be needed, but the oil sold today, I don't think there is any real reason to do it. Most now have additives to keep the sludge down and most Synthetic oils won't cause sludge if you change them out at the recommended intervals. What you are actually doing by using the "flushes" is thinning the oil out and causing the engine to run without the protection needed. No, it's not for a long period of time, but it's causing wear never-the-less. I alway just use a namebrand syn. blend oil, and change out at 5K. The oil coming out is still in pretty good shape and still wipes right off your hands. So the cleaning agents are still functioning. I have changed oil out of Military vehicles that had to be removed from my hands with gas. That was along time ago and oil has changed alot since then.

As for the tranny, with the miles you have, I would get it flushed and have Type V put in it.

As for the diffs. I'd let them go for now. I just had mine done at 70K and the guy I had do it said the fluid still looked like it was new. He though I just had it done, so he called me to make sure I really wanted it to be done. He couldn't belive that it was from the factory oil. So with your only having that many miles on it, I'd just have them check the condition first, if they think it needs done (being a place you can trust), then do it.;)

alright man thanks!

and i just change it out every 3k cuz i feel comfy doing so... kinda like a stupid precaution... cuz the ST is my first truck.... vehicle and i want it to stay with me forever! lol