Flying car

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SgHSaNtAMjs?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I heard about this the other day (on NPR, don't laugh). The conclusion was basically this could be useful for trips Vegas and such where using it might actually be possible.

Air traffic control would be a major issue if this were to "take off." Considering we still can't intelligently design traffic control in L.A., we don't need a system where cars start falling out of the skies.

I love cool gadget type things, though, especially automotive toys.

All of the previous ideas for a flying car were more like fixed wing air planes. This design is more practical since it is more along the lines of a gyro-copter. I also like the folding pusher prop...very good engineering!

Of course, if people fly the way they drive, we are all in for trouble...:banghead:

I don't think it is very practical to have people taking off and landing on US highways, so you would have to take off an land in parking lots or open fields. Then there is the air traffic control issues and the need for a pilots license. Cost and government restrictions will make this flying car useless except for a very few filthy rich people.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicer, more compact and much more affordable than the flying cars in the past. This one runs about $300k. Needs about 150 feet to takeoff, depending on conditions. Everyone's dreams of leaving the office hopping In the the car and flying home isn't practical. You would still need to drive to an airstrip of some sort, or drag strip possibly, to safely and legally takeoff. Then landing...... If you are using an airport, landing fees would be more than the money you spend on fuel. Things like this are fun, but will never work. Our infrastructure for the aviation industry is outdated for the amount of traffic out there now. Throwing my neighbors into the mix would be a disaster. I have over 10,000 hours of flight time, in light single engine to heavy jet. The day these things are sold at costco to the average joe, is the day I never fly again, and crawl into a bunker. They'll be falling out of the sky, trying to land in their driveway!

The day these things are sold at costco to the average joe, is the day I never fly again, and crawl into a bunker. They'll be falling out of the sky, trying to land in their driveway!

B,,thats a good take on that.....

B,

If costco sold them to the average Joe, there would be so many of these things falling from the sky, you would probably be much better off in the air than on the ground...:grin:

....Rich

That show on the Discovery channel, I think, about the folks that are building bunkers, may have the right idea!!

Latest posts