Ford dealer in my area went out of business

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisy Franzeo

Reaction score
I heard about this yesterday but didn't get the full story until today's newspaper. I knew I didn't trust the dealership for a reason (I think I wrecked my 2001 ST due to their service department's 'fixing' when my ABS light came on - considering I wrecked it when the breaks locked up right after the 'fixed' it).

Dealership investigated

Published: Friday, July 14, 2006

Updated: Friday, July 14, 2006

UPPER TOWNSHIP — State Police are investigating complaints from car buyers that South Shore Auto World did not pay off their loans on trade-in vehicles.

Police have not filed any criminal charges or made any arrests, State Police spokesman Sgt. Steve Jones said.

“Ford Motor Credit called us and advised us they were closing the location. I don't know if it involves new cars. The investigation is regarding non-payoff of trade-ins. We believe there may be more,” Jones said.

Jones said his agency and the Cape May County Prosecutor's Office received at least 12 complaints from recent car buyers. The customers went to police after being notified, presumably by their lender, that the loans were delinquent.

Police are investigating the case under fraud or theft-of-service statutes, Jones said.

“Woodbine is taking the lead on the investigation,” Cape May County Prosecutor Robert Taylor said Thursday. “There have been a number of complaints from consumers of automobiles.”

South Shore Ford's service center on Route 9 in Upper Township was open Thursday.

Employees said they were finishing up work on the last few remaining cars before they were scheduled to close for good today. They said their supervisor told them the dealership was closing during an impromptu staff meeting Wednesday.

“It's sinking in today,” service adviser Michael Bucca of Somers Point said. “I'm upset. They just took my livelihood.”

“I've got to go home and tell my kids I'm out of a job,” foreman Danny Easterly of Upper Township said. “I worked 50 or 60 hours weeks on end. I put my blood and sweat here. Hard feelings? Yeah.”

The sudden closure also affected customers who were waiting to take title on vehicles.

John Troutner of Hamilton Township put a $2,500 cash deposit on a used Grand Cherokee Jeep Laredo. On Thursday, he stopped by the dealership to see what he could do about getting his money back or picking up his truck.

“Needless to say, my wife was brokenhearted,” he said. “I gave them cash. I feel like an idiot. I don't know what to do.”

On Thursday, Ford Motor Credit employees were at the dealership to claim unsold vehicles, spokeswoman Meredith Libbey said.

Libbey said the automaker would honor customer contracts. The company set up a hotline to handle questions for local Volvo and Ford customers at 1-877-217-0531 extension 656. But in a voicemail, the employee at that extension said she is on extended maternity leave.

The dealership, not Ford Motor Credit, made the decision to close, Libbey said.

Dealership employees cracked cans of Coors late Thursday afternoon as they commiserated over their uncertain futures. Some employees speculated that the automaker might assume control of the dealership.

Libbey said that will not happen.

“We don't operate dealerships,” she said.

The Upper Township auto plaza includes Ford, Volvo and Chrysler dealerships all owned by township resident Rudolph Chiorazzo. Chiorazzo also owns a Chevrolet dealership and Cadillac dealership in Atlantic County. Marketing Director Ed Reese said those dealerships would remain open.

“The real issue is how they handled it. We haven't heard a word from the owner himself,” mechanic Larry Cook said from his Upper Township home.

“We worked our butts off for him for years. We'd like to talk to him face to face.

He just closed the door behind him and didn't look back,” Cook sai

Didn't you get my fax? I faxed those to you last week!

I'm the Executive Sales Manager and I tell ya we're not missing a tan Cierra! I'm cooperatin' here!:cool:

From the movie Fargo.....

Last edited by a moderator: