Ford Engine Dependability? 6.0/7.3/6.8

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Ortiz

Reaction score
Well guys, I'm in the market for a bigger vehicle. Rode in the cousin's F350 and I'm hooked. While a diesel would be nice, it's expensive so I think might be better off in a V10. Although I still wonder...would I be better off in a gas V10 with worse gas mileage, or a 7.3/6.0 with better?

Hate to ask so many questions, but MyST seems to return intelligent answers.

My budget is no more than $15000.00, but would preferably like to spend around 13.5. For this price I can find trucks in my area & surrounding major cities (San Antonio, Houston, Austin) with anywhere from 90k (rarely) to 160k miles.

My question is, what kind of mileage can I expect from the 3 major ford Engines....Powerstroke 7.3/6.0 or Trition 6.8 V10?

Right now I have my mind on an 01 Platinum F250 with 115,000 on the V10. Assuming it's been taken car of decently, should I be safe 5 years down the road? (I average 25,000 mi/yr.) I do some occasional light towing... jetskis on a double trailer and probably will pull a 16-20 ft trailer loaded with 3 ATVs time to time.

Any opinions are appreciated, thanks guys!:banana:

The 7.3 runs forever. The 6.0 has more power but also an annoying tendency to eat head gaskets and require other expensive repairs. The V10 is really just a 5.4 with two more cylinders and aside from the same spark plug issues, will run forever with normal maintenance. It was designed to be a tow motor with more power and better fuel economy to replace the old 460. I've never been sold on diesels. They cost more to buy, the fuel costs more so I don't know that you save a lot in the end, and repairs are much more expensive.

I'd get the V10 and if you have a spare $1600 or so, get the Gale Banks headers, exhaust, and intake to pick up a few mpg. A bud of mine has that setup on his motorhome and it's awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with the v10. I own one and glad I brought it rather that an oil burner. Cost wise itsbetter deal in the long run. On the other hand if your going into trucking transit operation mode that go with a 7.3 if you can find one.

towing with full load 6-9 mpg

running empty 10-14 mpg

V10 3;73 gear set would pull much better with 4;30

More than enough power.

Go with the v10. I own one and glad I brought it rather that an oil burner. Cost wise its a better deal in the long run. On the other hand if your going into trucking transit operation mode that go with a 7.3 if you can find one.

towing with full load 6-9 mpg

running empty 10-14 mpg

V10 3;73 gear set would pull much better with 4;30

More than enough power.

Latest posts