Ford Has Officially Buffed Its Brand

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryW Gilliland

Reaction score
Ford Has Officially Buffed Its Brand

By Richard Read

June 18th, 2009

Way back in December, at the beginning of the Chrysler/GM bailout, back when everyone was afraid to utter the word "bankruptcy", the third member of Detroit's Big Three saw opportunity--specifically, the opportunity to make itself shiny and new. In much of Ford's PR, the company expressed sympathy for its failing rivals while simultaneously refusing bailout dough. We saw that for what it was: a not-too-subtle re-branding campaign, and it's proven awfully successful.

To illustrate, here's some data from a recent survey conducted by Auto Pacific, which asked over 900 U.S. consumers the following questions (with automaker names filling in the blanks):

"How concerned are you about buying/leasing a vehicle from ___________?"

"How likely are you to buy/lease a new car from ___________?"

Not surprisingly, Asian and European automakers scored best on question #1, with most folks (around 61%) responding that they were "not concerned at all" about buying/leasing from those manufacturers. Slightly further down the list, 48% said they weren't concerned about buying or leasing from Ford--which isn't great, but it's far above GM (15%) and Chrysler (14%).

Ford did even better on question #2, tying with Toyota for the most "likely/very likely" votes at 43%. Meanwhile, only 15% said they'd be likely to buy/lease from General Motors, and a mere 7% said the same of Chrysler.

Perhaps most intriguingly, Hyundai clocked in at 22%, which tells us that the company's recent "Car of the Year" success, matched with the buzz surrounding its Assurance Program, have done great things for the South Korean brand. Keep watching--things are getting interesting.

[VehicleVoice]

I'm in at $1.945 average. When it hit around $4 I pulled out the dollar value of my initial investment, keeping the remainder in the market. Too bad I didn't invest a whole lot, but this is my first go at investing in individual stocks.

IMO, Fords' future will do well. Despite I have always believed in Ford qaulity. Facts also show their qaulity has increased in this decade.

I have been belittled for being Ford loyal, on myst. I cant help but be loyal. None of my Fords have ever let me down. Just general maintenance and wear and tear items. If something serious ever broke. I broke racing or the way I pushed the envelope.

Im either just lucky or what. When something serves you well. You tend to be brand loyal. Other than body rust in the old days. Chrysler products come in second place with my family and freinds. GM products allways broke repeatedly with family and friends.:D

I put tens of thousands of kilometres on Fords every year and have for years. NEVER had one problem that was not attributable to driver abuse and they take a huge amount of driver abuse. They actually seem to enjoy having the snot driven out of them. Fords have not let me down. I am proud to be a loyal Ford owner and operator.

Gerry

Same here Gerry! On my 4th Ford product, and second Trac. My first was an 85 Mustang. 4 banger that would not stop running! Has a rust racing stripe from the hood, over the roof, and down the hatchback. Had over 100,000 miles before I traded it in for the Focus when it first came out. Only thing wrong was the clutch (2x) and the timing belt (1x). And that blew coming up the Grapevine from CA to OR. Soon as I got to the top, engine started complaining, pulled over and pop, engine died and nothing but gas fumes. Was thankfull for the warning. Traded the focus after a year for the new Trac, kept that to over 100,000 miles and traded it in for the 05. Only had to replace the transmission on the 01 once, and nothing on the 05 so far.:D:D

Only complaints are about service, and thats dealer service only. I never go to the dealer, better service at the mom and pop, and they get the parts as fast and for alot cheaper than the dealer!:(

Fords just rock!:cool:

And yea, I have driven both Tracs well over thier expected uses, and pounded, over loaded, ran through or pushed past the edge every thing on my rigs, and they keep purrin' like a lion! Even my F350 friends are surprised at what my 'half a truck' can do!:banana:

this is my first ford and so far I cannot complain. the only problem was that transmission bump, but the dealer fixed that last november.

Ford actually made their smartest move about 3-4 years ago, and the downfall in the economy played into their cards even more than they could have imagined. Not teaking federal bailout money was the real feather in their hat. Heck, even the banks are giving the money back because they don't want Washinton telling them how to run their business, and Ford does not want anyone to tell them how to build cars.

I that the Failures of GM and Chrysler will help all the other Automanufacturers in general. The bankrupcy and restructuring of GM and Chrysler will take time and with two major players on the injured-reserve list Toyota has a great reputation and stands to gain due to less competition as the economy gets back on it's feet.

...Rich

Gavin:

Toyota has lost a hell of a lot more money than GM. Wait for the next big shoe to drop...

I still haven't figured out you ramblings Gavin but I will substitute sandal in lieu of shoe..:lol: