Ford Reliability

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake Esken

Reaction score
New Ford study is evidence of improving quality

Many of us in the know, i.e. auto enthusiasts, are well aware that our domestic automakers have made significant strides in improving the quality of the cars and trucks they sell. We also know that it's been extremely difficult to shake their reputation of shoddy quality that may have been deserved in the past, but is becoming less so by the day.

Ford revealed today that it has taken steps to provide some objective data to support improvements in quality that are beginning to pay off. In conjunction with RDA Group, a market research firm based in Bloomfield Hills, Ford has released details of the Global Quality Research System (GQRS) report, a survey of 31,000 new vehicle owners. The survey focused on 2007 model year cars and trucks and asked participants to list any problems experienced within the first 90 days of ownership.

Normally we would question a study about vehicle quality that was associated with a particular automaker, as there are some pretty clear conflicts of interest that could taint the results. However, the results of this study appear not to favor Ford in particular, as Honda was found to be the best brand when it comes to new car quality, earning a TGW score of 1313 "things gone wrong" per 1,000 vehicles. Ford's TGW score of 1,456, which includes both Lincoln and Mercury vehicles, placed it in a virtual three-way tie for second place with Toyota (1,453) and Nissan (1,456). The victory is a bit more significant for Ford than Toyota or Nissan since it represents an 8% improvement for the domestic manufacturer over last year, which is well ahead of the industry's average improvement of 2%.

(AutoBlog.com)

Although new car quality is nice it is how the car does once it has more mileage on it that I am interested in. Show me that Ford has imprved their quality and reliability for the first two years and I will be impressed.

I tend to agree Ashaman. Ninety days seems a bit short...I'd hope a vehicle wouldn't have too many problems in that time span. And increase in reliability numbers is good for the domestics, however. Ninety days may be the typical length for an initial quality survey, but typically, people are still so excited about their new vehicle, they'll tend to overlook some things. A year later, after some time and miles and been put in the vehicle, does the same hold true for reliability numbers?

At risk of sounding like a pessimist, an increase in numbers compared to other makes really only says one thing: that there was more room for improvement compared to other makes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think registering the number of complaints in the first 100,000 miles sounds about right!:p

We just visited a friend today. His Aerostar 4.0L Auto 4x4 blew its engine.

Tom

p.s. it only had 297,000 miles.

You guys are a tough crowd... I'm convinced they're all (carmakers) pretty much on par, overall. Computer-aided design and manufacturing technology are the same wherever you go. I've had vehicles from the big 3, Toyota, Acura, Honda. All had their good points and bad points. I now own a Ford (ST) and a Chevy (Vette). The trade-offs of one are made up for by the other...