Ford to idle mich plant until aug

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Builds Lincoln Navigator and Ford Expedition. Wouldn't be surprised to see plant completely closed by next year.

ALL manufactures are affected by the economy and cost of fuel.

gotta' due what you gotta' do to stay alive

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they continue to get paid by the union?

The union does not pay them. The employees of that plant are Union members, NOT union employees.

Not sure what will happen. Situations like this are spelled out in the contract between the union represented employees and thier employer.

Odds are, they will get a severence package with some type of hospitialization, unemployment compensation with possibly some type of extra compensation, and possibly for the higher seniority guys, the offer to move to another plant to continue working.

Tom

Usually they draw 90% of their normal pay and sit home or go fishing for a while.

Sorry, looks like full pay:

"People on layoff at full pay were part of the cost saving; it gave us leverage to bring back work," said Richard Long, president of U.A.W. Local 653 in Pontiac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jobs bank programs -- 12,000 paid not to work

Big 3 and suppliers pay billions to keep downsized UAW members on payroll in decades-long deal.

WAYNE -- Ken Pool is making good money. On weekdays, he shows up at 7 a.m. at Ford Motor Co.'s Michigan Truck Plant in Wayne, signs in, and then starts working -- on a crossword puzzle. Pool hates the monotony, but the pay is good: more than $31 an hour, plus benefits.

"We just go in and play crossword puzzles, watch videos that someone brings in or read the newspaper," he says. "Otherwise, I've just sat."

It seems logical that if they don't have big SUVs to build due to a lack of demand, they could retool and starting making cars/trucks/SUVs that ARE in demand.

That would satisfy the market need for such vehicles and keep people working.

I know retooling a plant is expensive. Maybe the cost to retool will outweigh the results.

Tom

I don't see how it could. The need for small cars will be astounding, according to what I've been reading. I think America is going to have to do a 180 in their thinking and their habits. That isn't going to change anytime soon, if ever.

If Daddy Ford doesn't change, he'll be on the auction block.

I don't see how it could.

If the plant was being shut down for a year, that would be something to consider. This is only a month long shut down.

I am sure it would be more costly that saving.

Tom