friendly arguement with wife

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Hartwig

Reaction score
OK, simple arguement, but we have exhausted our friends and family. The thing overhead that tells what the outside temp is- is that a thermometer or a temperature gauge? I say thermometer, she says temp gauge. Family and friends are pretty much split with their answers. What does everybody else think?:):)

i say temp gauge a thermometer has a liquid substance that moves up and down with the rise and fall of temp. sorry i agree with her

The thermometer is the part of the system that senses temperature and converts it into analog or digital output. A linear/volumetric measurement of liquid in a glass is one type of output. An electrical signal to some LED circuitry in the case of the ST.

The "gage" inside the Sport Trac simply displays the value it receives from the measuring instrument. It has nothing to do with actually measuring temperature. The same LED readout also gives compass heading.

So, the bottom line is...what was the original question? :)

Actually, both terms are correct.

It is a digital thermometer, and a digital temperature gauge. The only reason Thermometer is preferred is to not confuse the outside temperature with the engine coolant temperature gauge.

But like Nelson said, it makes no difference which you choose, your opinion differs from your wife's, you are automatically wrong. :(

...Rich

The overhead thing is a tem guage?I thought it was a weird clock that didn't work. I kept telling the wife it was w32 o'clock...Doh!:p

Raserx

I believe both are equally correct. It is a digital thermometer, but just as a digital pressure gauge measures and displays pressure, the unit in the trac console does just that for temperature and thus can be referred to as a temperature gauge.

Q - It's behind the grille, on the right hand side I think.

By the way, the sensor itself is probably a thermistor. The overhead console senses the change in resistance and converts it to a temperature.

lets see, a gauge is a standard scale of measurement of something

A thermometer is a measuring device for temperature

Therefore, the entire unit, grill to LEDs must be a Thermometer Gauge. But the part inside in a temperature guage.

You are both partially correct. See if she will go with that - otherwise you're sunk.:p

grump

First, you have male parts, therefore I see no way possible that your wife can see that you stand any chance of being correct... LOL

The read out is a remote digital display. The temperature sensor is mounted out front by the grill. I would not call it a thermometer as a thermometer is generally a self contained and closed unit. It works on expansion and shrinkage of the fluid within the close item. Just did a search, here is the actual definition;

Thermometer \Ther*mom"e*ter\, n. [Thermo- + -meter: cf. F. thermom[`e]tre. See Thermal.]

(Physics) An instrument for measuring temperature, founded on the principle that changes of temperature in bodies are accompanied by proportional changes in their volumes or dimensions.

Note: The thermometer usually consists of a glass tube of capillary bore, terminating in a bulb, and containing mercury or alcohol, which expanding or contracting according to the temperature to which it is exposed, indicates the degree of heat or cold by the amount of space occupied, as shown by the position of the top of the liquid column on a graduated scale.

So in the case of the Trac I would go with Temp Guage as it is doing nothing more than translating data into a digital read out based on resistance (electrical resistance) from the remote sensor...

It is a digital readout guage inticating the high, low, etc. of the outside teperature of the outside conditions of the present time it was taken.

Huh? :lol::lol:

But once again, you are a man saying something different than a woman. That means you are wrong.

If she asks you the question, Honey do these pants make my butt look fatt? RUN, no answer is right.:lol::lol:

Latest posts