Front diff Gen 2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Partridge

Reaction score
I didn't see in the project area ( might be blind ) changing the front diff oil. ( 145000K )

The dealer wanted 200 bucks and mentioned it was difficult to get to. Any suggestions ?

The rear seams fairly simple by removing the spare.

Thanks

My Gen2 is 2WD, so I've done only the rear diff, which is an easy job because Ford put a drain plug in the diff cover. Removing the spare tire is essential, IMO.

Does your front diff have a drain plug? I'd locate that and the fill plug, then plan how to get the fresh lube in. AMSOIL makes an inexpensive gear lube pump that attaches to the bottle. You can see the gear lube viscosities and capacities for your ST by using our online lookup found on my website.

The front diff does not have a drain plug (nor does a Gen 1) and the cover is impossible to get off with the diff in the vehicle. The ONLY way to do it is with a suction machine at the dealer or quickie lube. The dealer might want $200 but I had mine done at the Valvoline Quickie Lube for $49.95. I did the rear myself.

The Gen2 has a FILL plug on the front cover and looks like room to get the cover off, BUT I would use the suck and fill method and be done with it.... there is no clutches to cause shavings so you should be fine..

Todd Z

You can get a suction/siphon device from harbor freight for $7, with plenty of hose.

DIY....

Does the Harbor Frieght sucker get all the fluid out. How many quarts would be required for the front diff? How many for the rear diff?

Josyemack

josey, they have 2 types. One with sqeeze bulb. The other with a hand pump.

The rear hold 5.8 pints. Front IDK....

If you get the hose down to the bottom. My bet is only a couple of ounces or less or none will be left.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get this pump from harbor freight on sale. $7

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried to suck the diff lube out with the suction gun I bought to fill the t-case but did not meet with success.