front drive shaft

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike M 4

Reaction score
hey guys,

I hear a rubbing noise, kind of like new brake pads on a new caliper, when I am in 4 wheel drive.

I also noticed a slight vibration at highway speeds as well. I had a tech pull the xfercase, front dif and inspect. Dif ok, changed carrier bearings and seals anyway, and the xfer case shows normal use.

OH, if I am in 4x4 mode, and coast in neutral, the noise is still there. I have read the that front driveshaft can make this noise, maybe the CV joint. Anybody fix or repair this problem?

thanks in advance

mike

When you are in 4x2 mode, the front drivetrain still turns. If the noise is caused by the front drivetrain then it should do it in 4x4 or 4x2 mode.

Transfer case maybe?

Tom

You are right in a way Caymen, but thats not always the case.

Its not always true that the sound will be there if its in 4WD or 2WD. My front pinion was loose and when it was in 2WD it had a tap on the floor board. And when it was in 4WD the tapping was gone.

But I do agree with Caymen and have the transfer case checked also.

The front driveshaft will make noise when power is applied to it. It is a CV joint and they do go out. Mine went out and I then threw the driveshaft in the garbage and bought a much better unit.

I had a similar prob, ended up being the spider gear on the shaft at the xcase end. Mechanic said he could tell it was greased, but nothing in place to keep the grease there, he just packed it, and the noise went away. Only made noise when in 4x4. Is that true?.. there is nothing to keep it greased there?.. or am I missing something?