Front End Noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csamuels

Reaction score
I have a 02 4X4 Sport Trac with 158K miles, and a few weeks ago I began hearing a noise in the front end. At first I thought that the differential may be low on gear oil, so I removed the plug and was immediately meet with oil…..so much for that thought.

My next guess would be the front hub bearings. I looked back through the postings and noticed that several folks have replaced these on their Sport Trac. But my question is, what type of noise lead you this replacement? I have a whine after about 25 mph and it becomes a deeper sound as the speed increases. I do not hear the noise so much outside of the vehicle, even with the window down as I do inside the truck. I am even beginning to feel the noise vibrate in the steering wheel. And if I turn the truck to the left sharply the noise goes away. Is this consistent with the problems you had before replacement of the hub bearings??? I hate to just replace parts trying to solve this noise.

Thanks….

brgs make a humming or grinding noise, not a whine......

Also simply jacking up the front end and having someone spin the tires by hand will help you hear it if it is bearings....

Todd Z