Front-End Rebuild

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dre L

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a "front-end rebuild", unfortunately I need to have a mechanic do it for me because of circumstances.

Ball joints, inner / outer tie rods, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings and links, bearings...

Am I missing anything?

Also, I've estimated between $600-800 in parts. My thinking is that when it comes to labor on this job, most of the charge should follow the bearing replacement labor since they need to break down to the bearing to replace it, then on the way back rebuilding they can do the other parts. During the rebuild there should be lesser labor charges since half the job was done in disassembly to the bearing. Am I correct in thinking this way?

I have a number in my head of around $800 for labor, based on what people here have paid for bearing replacements before.

So does a ballpark of $1600 sound right for a front end rebuild?

Man you don't know the half. I swear one of the dealerships around here did a ST blow out in 2006. I drove around one of the towns near the dealership and every other vehicle on the road was a Trac.

I think I've found a couple of places to do the job, I'm just getting ideas for a fair price for when they come back with the estimate.

I'm also debating how they'll feel if I bring the parts I want and have them installed. I know some shops add the sale of the part to the business.

Try to see if you could get together with other members and save some money, plus what better person to work on an ST than another ST owner.

Just replaced the upper ball joints on my ST. Replaced the lower ball joints last year and the shocks the year before. In a "stable" mind (DIY) would not do all at the same time. In your area check the AM radio for "Click and Clack", Car Talk radio show. On NPR. Check the radio station in your area. Go online, the websitec will provide you with references for mechanics in your area from listeners. Now prepare a list of parts from car parts stores. In my area O'Rielly and NAPA are the best. Prepare a list of parts needed and the cost, take this to your list of chosen mechanics. Mechanics are also known as "independents".

For my 4 X 4 ST the upper ball joints at Tires Plus were quoted at $961.00. Removal and replacemet of these would not affect the shocks, lower ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearing, or axle shafts.

My suggestion, price out the parts you want replaced, go to three independent garages you have some respect for. Then after they provide an estimate, make a decision.:)

Latest posts