Front Pinion Seal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brant 1

Reaction score
Hello all,

Bit of a problem on my truck, I discovered that my front pinion is leaking right where the drive shaft goes into the diff. Its pretty slow, and seems to be recent because the fluid level is ok.

So my questions is, is this a huge job? Do I have to drop the diff out of the front end and pull all the gears? Or could I be lucky and be able to just pull the pinion gear out and replace the seal that way?

Thanks in advance,

Brant

I did it myself in the driveway. I believe that you are supposed to put a new crush sleeve in but I did not. So far I have not had any problems but I have only put 5,000 miles since replacement.

IT is easy to do, you just need good tools to get the nut loose and If using the OLD crush washer, the simple trick is to measure the rotating drag with an inch pound torque wrench and when you re tighten then you just torque till you get the same drag....

On Paul's truck It was around 90 foot lbs or so torque on the nut and i think we had 16 inch lbs of drag... , BUT do not go by that..

Also a good seal installer makes it way easier..

Todd Z

I have the same problem with my '03, how much do the parts usually cost? Can I get them from parts store or dealer, really don't like to go to dealerships.

As per the O.P, Is a huge job if you remove the gears:eek:, don't worry about the crush sleeve. suggest you clean the nut and the thread well, use blue loctite.

TQ to factory spec.

Thanks for the response guys. So I'm guessing I can pull the driveshaft and unbolt the pinion from the diff? Cause that would be sweet!!:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys,

I got the parts for the install, but now im looking for diagrams for the install, maybe instructions / torque specs? Any help would be appreciated.

Brant

remove the seal, BFG screwdiver works, replace the new seal, BFG socket works, tq the pinion nut to about 100lbs, done deal.

If you torque the pinion nut to factory torque you will more than likely end up crushing the crush sleeze more and therefore put more preload on the bearings and there is a good chance that they will go bad due to being overtightened. If you don't have access to an inch pound torque wrench to measure the rotational preload then what you can do in a pinch is count the number of threads that are showing on the frontside of the pinion nut. Put it back on the same number of therads with some loctite and you should be good to go. I have never had a problem doing it this way, if you want to be extra sure that the nut won't come loose you could always stake it also.

Latest posts