Fuel/Gas filler door housing replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Hello all. When I bought my 2004 Sport Trac the fuel filler door was obviously broken and superglued together. The spring was also not engaging. So, it was held closed with clear packing tape. I've been able to buy a replacement housing in wonderful condition and matching paint.

I've removed the screws that attach it to the bed. When looking at the replacement housing I see three plastic angle things that obviously cause it to "snap" into place when you push the new one on. To remove the old one I don't want to damage anything especially scratching the paint. I'm wondering if anyone has had to replace this and if so, is there a trick or procedure for removing the old one? Thank you in advance!

I was able to figure it out and do it myself. It took about 30 minutes so not too bad. The tools that I used were a 7mm socket, a #2 Phillips screwdriver, two anti-marr tools, a couple of foam pads for being on my knees on the pavement, and a couple of pieces of wood that I used to hold the fuel tube in place.

Attachments

• 1-Knee pads.JPG
    1-Knee pads.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 3-7mm.JPG
    3-7mm.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 4-Anti-marr.JPG
    4-Anti-marr.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 2-Phillips No2.JPG
    2-Phillips No2.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
The old fuel door housing assembly was broken in a few places. The spring was missing, the knobs that allows the door to swing in and out was broken, and the door itself was broken from the arm.

Attachments

• 1A-Old broken housing.JPG
    1A-Old broken housing.JPG
    622.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1AA-Broken.JPG
    1AA-Broken.JPG
    597.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1B-Old fuel door.JPG
    1B-Old fuel door.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1BB-Old door glued.JPG
    1BB-Old door glued.JPG
I noticed on the replacement housing that there are three flexing angle pieces that allow you to push and snap the housing in place capturing the metal of the bed. I determined that I would need to push them in somehow in order to get the old one out. I used the two blue anti-marr tools to accomplish that. It took a bit of tugging and wiggling to get it out.5-Angle catch.JPG6-Angle CatchIMG_2523.JPG

After removing the old one I noticed the filler inlet just sort of floats there. You can actually reach up from the wheel well and move it around. I knew when I installed the new one the filler inlet would have be be centered in the new housing for it to seat properly. Note at the bottom where the Phillips screw came out it has a metal clip that will need to be in its proper place upon reassembly.

13-Removed.JPG14-Fuel pipe floats.JPG15-Screw hole.JPG

I found the new housing on eBay and luckily it was exactly the color I needed. Some images below show the part number, etc.

Attachments

• 7-Fuel door.JPG
    7-Fuel door.JPG
  • 12-Housing inside.JPG
    12-Housing inside.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 11-Part number.JPG
    11-Part number.JPG
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 10-Part number.JPG
    10-Part number.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 9-Housing markings.JPG
    9-Housing markings.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 8-Fuel door housing.JPG
    8-Fuel door housing.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
Putting the new one in place turned out to be a tricky endeavor. I had to do a lot of jiggling around. You have to have the door closed as you insert the housing and move it around. The big square end doesn't go into place easily. I had a couple of pieces of wood to help center the filler inlet to get it into the hole of the housing. I did that from inside the wheel well. Once you have it where you think it will line up with the holes you just push on the housing and it snaps into place, ready to receive the screws.

16-Fitting in place.JPG
17-snap in place.JPG
20-Extra tools.JPG

To ensure I didn't drop any screws inside the fuel inlet, I stuffed it with paper towels.

Attachments

• 18-Plug hole with paper towel.JPG
    18-Plug hole with paper towel.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
The next item was attaching the gas cap to the bottom screw.

Attachments

• 19-Attach gas cap.JPG
    19-Attach gas cap.JPG
Finally, all of the screws were snugged in place and it all functions as it should. There are two little rubber "dots" that appear to act as a bumper when you close the lid. The new one did not have any, but the old one had one. I was able to reuse that piece. If I can find another I will add it at a later time.

Attachments

• 21-Finished.JPG
    21-Finished.JPG
  • 22-Opened.JPG
    22-Opened.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 23-Cleaned up.JPG
    23-Cleaned up.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
It always feels good figuring stuff out on your own. Nice job installing new gas door. Great idea plugging the filler neck so screws didn't fall in.

Latest posts